PDA

View Full Version : wirring 3ph compressor

kurt s
28-06-2011, 08:53 PM
you can change the direction of rotation on a 3ph motor by changing the wire leads, how about when wiring a 3ph AC compressor? scroll, or hermetic, semi hermetic?

monkey spanners
28-06-2011, 08:56 PM
If its DOL then just swap any two phases, but if its a partwind or star delta start you need to be very carefull or it could end up burning the motor out if not done correctly.

install monkey
28-06-2011, 09:56 PM
scrolls are rotation sensitive,recips doesnt matter.

Brian_UK
28-06-2011, 10:41 PM
scrolls are rotation sensitive,recips doesnt matter.
I would normally fully agree with this but I seem to remember someone saying that the oil pump may pump differently.

Sounds odd to me but does anyone have any thoughts on that?

install monkey
28-06-2011, 10:52 PM
carrier 06e comps rotation doesnt matter as its a rotating cam, from as long as i can remember manufacturers dont specify on rotation on recips-(obv screws are different)
thats quote is based on copeland,carier,best recommendation -read the instructions,label comp terminals when changing compressors and on start up moniter the oil pressure.

mad fridgie
28-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I would normally fully agree with this but I seem to remember someone saying that the oil pump may pump differently.

Sounds odd to me but does anyone have any thoughts on that?
I do know that reversing the rotation on older compressors does give an increased oil pressure, it was a service trick to stop those annoying trips. This could be just down the the faces of the oil pump be worn after many years, reversing just like new.

glenn1340
29-06-2011, 06:14 PM
if the recip is splash lubricated with dippers on the big end it can affect the amount of oil splashed on the cylinder bores.