PDA

View Full Version : sight glass location

cadwaladr
28-06-2011, 02:54 AM
with refrigerants that are blends [4 series] where in the liquid line on a average system with a pipe run of say 5 metres should you locate it because i have different opinions from my other engineer friends?

mad fridgie
28-06-2011, 03:56 AM
with refrigerants that are blends [4 series] where in the liquid line on a average system with a pipe run of say 5 metres should you locate it because i have different opinions from my other engineer friends?
You should ask your self, what is the sight glass used for? moisture indicator and refrigerant flow.
As far as system charge goes it is an "aid" to charging and not a method.
What do you "not" want see in the sight glass, and why?
Answer the why, and this will give you the correct position. (and it is not where every body mounts them!!!)

chemi-cool
28-06-2011, 07:07 PM
You can use a few sight glasses, after the drier will help you know when it is starting getting blocked. Just before the TXV will help you know if it fed with liquid.

On oil return line, will indicate flow of oil back to the sump.

install monkey
28-06-2011, 09:59 PM
normally there by the condenser so the muppet bomb charging it can see a full sight glass. but they should be located at he tev inlet to ensure no flash gas in the liq line prior to the tev

mad fridgie
28-06-2011, 10:19 PM
normally there by the condenser so the muppet bomb charging it can see a full sight glass. but they should be located at he tev inlet to ensure no flash gas in the liq line prior to the tev
And give this dog a bone! or should I say give this monkey a banana

install monkey
28-06-2011, 10:22 PM
yay!-if only i could have a rep point haha

Peter_1
29-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Chemi was first ;-)

Aik
29-06-2011, 08:34 AM
But he wasn't say about location before solenoid or after :)

Sandro Baptista
29-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Considering the solenoid is just near the TEV I would put it after the solenoid (between the solenoid and the TEV), as this one also create a pressure drop 0,4...1 bar, more or less.

As mad fridgie said at the first email unfortunately many people don't apply the sight glass on this place. I try to fight that but it's not easy.

Peter_1
29-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Half a banana then

Aik
29-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I prefer put sight glass after filter but before solenoid.

As mad fridgie said at the first email unfortunately many people don't apply the sight glass on this place.
I also don't put it at that place, only if I have problems with liquid refrigerant circulation, but it's infrequent cases.

Half a banana then
:)

Peter_1
29-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Considering the solenoid is just near the TEV I would put it after the solenoid (between the solenoid and the TEV), as this one also create a pressure drop 0,4...1 bar, more or less...

I should say 0.15 bar is more commonly. If you have 1 bar, then your SV was undersized

Aik
29-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I should say 0.15 bar is more commonly.
Yeah, you are right. For example danfoss (servo) solenoid needs minimum 0.05 bar to work well... 1 bar is to much

Sandro Baptista
29-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I should say 0.15 bar is more commonly. If you have 1 bar, then your SV was undersized

Sorry, you are right. I meant 0,04...0,1 bar.