PDA

View Full Version : Unusual split install in Devon

dmsims
24-06-2011, 07:03 PM
We would like to install an aircon/heat pump split unit with the primary focus on heating and wondered about the feasibility of putting the inverter in the cellar

House is built sideways on a hill

There is a full size full height cellar with door/walls at ground level at one end the other 2/3 is surrounded by ground (buried)

There is a window with a nice wide stone ledge on which the outdoor unit could sit

There is a joisted ceiling with floorboards - the oil boiler, electrics and drainage are all accessible

When warm the cellar is cool and it does not get cold in winter

Would anyone be interested in doing this install ? (We are in south Devon)

thanks (and no one laugh!)

frank
24-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Brian is moving to Devon soon.....lol maybe he could help you out as his 'first install' :D

Seriously though, fitting an outside unit inside is not really the right thing to do.

Brian_UK
24-06-2011, 09:21 PM
One major problem with having a heat pump external unit inside is that they can freeze up quite quickly and may not defrost properly.

The ice builds up and things start going pear shaped very soon afterwards.

See the photo in an old post of mine....
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?4229-How-to-make-ice-with-a-heat-pump

dmsims
24-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replies

Did that unit freeze because of lack of airflow ?

Brian - fancy a trip to Devon ?

Brian_UK
24-06-2011, 09:58 PM
The unit froze because it was inside and kept drawing the heat out of the space it was in.

I suppose if you could ensure that outside air was drawn through the space and was blown outside by the unit then it might work.

Sorry, I don't do installs. :)

charlie patt
25-06-2011, 08:56 PM
is ther any way to pipe to outdoors or louvre air to outdoors you can have a ducted vent but whats access like please advise

dmsims
25-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Charlie thanks for reply

yes you can pipe or louvre air very easily outdoors

There is a window (where the glass could be replaced with a grill/louvre) with a large stone ledge on which the unit could stand

Not sure what you mean by access?

charlie patt
25-06-2011, 09:31 PM
if you can run pipes out the acess hole ie through the windows its not a problem some installs are easy and some are hard if you have a route to outdoors i would recomend that rether than indoor install even in a cold cellar outdoors unit will create no noise nuisance either what part of soth devon you in

dmsims
25-06-2011, 10:25 PM
OK thanks

We are in Compton, near Torquay

charlie patt
25-06-2011, 10:27 PM
finishing a large coldroom oposite paignton zoo next week can have a look if you require ta charlie

dmsims
25-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Charlie that would be great

I can't send a PM and I don't think your keepitcool email address works ?

Can you send a PM with your contact details and I will reply

charlie patt
26-06-2011, 09:39 PM
charlie at keepitcoolsouthwest . co . uk (charlie@keepitcoolsouthwest.co.uk)

sinewave
29-06-2011, 06:25 PM
That's not an Ice Machine Brian, this is! :D

r0ss
29-06-2011, 06:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like this a lot :)

Condensate leaks in the summer.
Ice rinks in the winter.

dmsims
30-06-2011, 02:06 AM
@sinewave

What happened there ?

back2space
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
@sinewave

What happened there ?

When units are in heating mode the outdoor unit becomes the air con side of the system so it is blowing very cold air out of the front of it, this means the unit removes moisture from the air and it freezes on the coils when it is cold.

Because of the extreme temps we had last winter when the unit went into defrost mode the ice that defrosted just pooled on the floor and froze because of how cold it was outside. Really units should be connected so water drains away to a drain rather than just onto the floor.

Also the fact that the unit is installed in an enclosed space probably doesnt help matters as it will be recycling the same air over and over again making the space around the unit even colder.