PDA

View Full Version : Seat Ibiza Air conditioning

airefresco
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Would anybody have any information on the air-conditioning system on a 2001 seat ibiza.

I am working on a system that doesn't come on. I was there with the thermostat set to 18 and nothing. Then after an 2 hours of trying find out where the controls for it were it suddly came on:confused: . I checked the pressures while it was running and they are fine so I don't think it's a gas problem. I'm thinking a long the lines of a faulty return air sensor. Obviously I don't want to start ripping the car to bits to try find the sensor if it's not even located there.

Anybody have any ideas?:confused:

tonto
05-10-2005, 02:54 PM
In my past experience on working on automotive I would say that it would be clipped to the evaporator coil as many other cars that I have worked on thats where it has been.. Probably have a flick through a workshop manual and should tell you where it is.....

Karl Hofmann
05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
The Ibeza does have quite an advanced set up and to be honest I find that the best way to find problems on them is with either VAGs own diagnostic kit or using the VAG.COM software. It is possible to check the the values of the sensors, but since VAG will not release what the values should be, then this information would be useless. I trust that you have checked the usual stuff such as clutch gap as these compressors did have a problem especially on the diesels, the compressor would run hot, melt the nylock on the nut securing the clutch and unscrew itself causing the clutch gap to increase and eventually allowing the clutch plate to fall off. could be this or from your description could just be a dodgy connection, also check the refrigerant pressure sensor (It is not a switch but a variable resistor) or the clutch control module.

airefresco
08-10-2005, 01:51 PM
cheers Karl I will check those things.

They client has just called me and said the air-con worked for 3 days after I finished messing with it. It went off today and will not come back on again. I think from this it unlikley to be the air on sensor as It is quite warm today.

If anybody know where the control module is located, it would be a great help.

Karl Hofmann
08-10-2005, 06:31 PM
The HVAC control is the unit in the dash with all the controls on it, clutch and fan control from memory should be front right hand corner (As you look under the bonnet) mounted low down but I'm not 100% sure of this. Clutch should not cycle on and off as it is a variable displacement compressor. VAG stuff really can be a pain in the bum.

chemi-cool
08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Looks like it will be cheaper to buy a Toyota:D

Chemi:)

Karl Hofmann
08-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Toyota/Lexus is my car of choice but they are just as complicated and even more expensive when they go wrong. To work on the electronics of cars these days requires the right software to interrogate the ECU. Every electrical component on my Transporter can be controled through a PC from blowing the horn to selecting the track played on the CD. Manufacturers want a closed shop so that customers are forced to go back to the Main Agent, and so every few years they change the software needed to acess the on board computer system. Sadly the poor chimps who work for main agents just aren't up to the job

VWs are a pain but anything French will be a nightmare, plenty of windows doing their own thing, engines that wont turn off and wipers that are a law unto themselves

airefresco
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
managed to sort the problem today. Checked all the conection/cables etc. again.

Completely ran out of ideas and for a last attempt I reset the control unit by pulling the fuse for the radio. (the display for the radio is the same as the air-con/heating/ventillation) replaced the fuse and it now runs perfect. If anyone ever has a problem with a seat ibiza i sugest this should be the first thing you should try as the connections and cables are really difficult to get to.

Cheers for all who helped