PDA

View Full Version : New Manitowoc ice maker

bluegreg
13-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I purchased a Manitowoc model SY-0854A ice maker in March of this year to replace an older ice maker. A local refrigeration company quoted the price and installed it. The company that installed it has done work for us for 10 years and did the service on the old ice maker which was also a Manitowoc but a 1300lb remote unit that was 20+ years old. It produced more ice than we needed as we almost never emptied the 1000lb bin.

I asked the company what we needed and they quoted us a 600 & an 800lb air cooler units, saying say should be enough for what we needed. Only other option they offered was a new ice bin but said the one we had was fine. Ice maker goes in a small stock room.

We purchased the 800lb unit without the new bin. Immediately upon installation I noticed the extreme heat it put off. I questioned the company and he said the air cooled unit obviously put off more heat that the remote unit. We are a convenience store so heat has always been a problem in the store. At that point the unit was making ice but since it was still winter we didn't think much about the production. I did question the company about the heat and told him that we certainly didn't want to add any more heat inside the store.

The company technician came and explained that it was going to put off alot of heat and that the stock room temperature was over 110 degrees and the 800 lb. production was under optimal conditions and that it wouldn't produce at all above 95 degrees. He said the problem was that the stock room had always been very hot and he couldn't help that. I asked about a remote unit and he said it would have cost another $1500 which I would have paid had he said we would have the heat problem. I asked him if he gave any consideration to the heat the air cooler unit would put off and he said no.

Now it has turned warm and the unit isn't making hardly anything. Plus the heat it creates melts the ice very quickly. Contrary to what the tech said, that area of the store had not been hot and was actually one of the cooler areas of the store but now the temperature is over 85 degrees. Temperature is about 15 degrees cooler because the tech rigged some duct work to exhaust the heat into the attic which helped some (he charged me $160 to do this).

I've told him that the ice maker wasn't making ice, drops a sheet about every 20-30 minutes and often shuts itself off. He says the ice maker is working fine and we just have a heat problem.

My question is...since he was the tech that serviced the old machine and knew about the conditions in the store, he recommended this unit and did not give me any other options like a remote or water cooled machine, he admitted he didn't give any thought to the heat the unit generating being a factor and that he thought that heat was always a problem in that room (it wasn't), doesn't he bare some responsibility for his work? If that room was always hot, why did he recommend and sell us the air cooled unit.

I'm not wanting anything but an ice machine that makes ice. If we need a remote unit, than we'll be glad to pay extra. They don't seem to be willing to do anything about it and after paying him $4500 I'm willing to take him to court over this. I would sure appreciate any feedback and recommendations. Thank you

Brian_UK
13-06-2011, 09:47 PM
If we need a remote unit, than we'll be glad to pay extra. They don't seem to be willing to do anything about it and after paying him $4500 I'm willing to take him to court over this.
It looks like that is your only option as he doesn't seem to want to admit to his own error.

Perhaps advise him of your plan for court action and see his response.

mikeref
13-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Bluegreg, it's obvious the old icemaker was set up that way because of the heat issue. These contractors knew the layout of your place and local conditions so it was a no brainer to figure this problem could develop. I know i would be in trouble should i have done the same thing to any of my customers. Check your written quote for possible exemptions and your book on the opperating temperatures this machine can run at..mike.

texas64
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I see this all the time. Inexperienced contractors giving the client the wrong equipment. A 800 pound machine puts out around 1.25 tons of heat. You would need to have a bigger A/C unit by this much just to handle the heat load not to mention that you were already short on A/C to begin with.

Bottom line: contractors fault for inexperience/not caring. If they are honest businessmen, they will "eat" the unit and install you the right one. They can't just add a remote condenser, they would need to buy the ice maker that is set up for being remote.

Side note- Manitowoc offers a nice remote condenser system: compressor is located at condenser to make your store quieter by not having the noisy compressor inside. These are awesome for soda dispensers located to serve your customers.

Good luck...

texas64
04-07-2011, 01:37 AM
But as a solution for what you have: Tell the installers to install a plenum on the back of the condenser(back of unit) with a 9" duct to the roof or outdoors joined to a 700 cfm exhaust fan to suck out the heat. We have done this on a 1300 pound ice maker causing the same issues that you described. They should do it for FREE!