PDA

View Full Version : vent on carrier 5h60??????????????

klobber
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Folks,

I am working on a carrier 5h60 compressor, having pressure tested it I have noticed that the housing where the capacity control valve is situated has what seems to be a vent???(pneumatic control connection port)... I know this from looking at the other one which is next to it, the one I am working on does not have the vent?-peice just a bolt which someone has put in its place..... I have limited knowledge on this however know it should not be blocked.... does this make any fridging sense to anybody?? will it run if its blocked.... any feedback would be great, waiting on literature getting sent out.....

Argus
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM

If it's a hexagonal nut, with a domed top shaped like a bowler hat, then it's the cover for the unloader adjustment stem.

Additionallly, there are outlets for the external oil hydraulic control connections on the rim of the oil pump assembly, but these are normally plugged off if not used.

If not these .... a photo of what you are looking at may help.

Hope it helps.

PS - the full service manuals of these compressors are available on the Carrier / Carlyle international web site.
Google on.

klobber
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Hey argus,

Yeah its not the unloader adjustment stem cover, its above that, got the drawing online, its the pneumatic control connection which seems to be missing... causing a clear opening into the housing...hard to explain...someone has put a bolt in where it should be.. cant get a permit to use a camera where I am at present.....

thanks

Argus
12-06-2011, 11:04 PM

It's nearly 30 years since I took one of those apart, but I recall that there were a couple of external connections for the optional electric un-loaders and (I may be wrong) a connection for an oil pump pressure gauge on the side of the oil pump housing.

The connections (again, could be wrong) were 1/8 inch gas thread, and stopped with plugs usually (I think) with an Allen key end. These may be the bolts you are thinking of.

The service / installation manual showed how to reverse the oil pump which gives an interesting description about taking the housing off.

What may be of more help to you will be a search on line for a service bulletin about fitting the external electric un-loaders because it shows exactly what the external connections are for, how to get at them and how to disable the internal oil relay.
It dates from the 1970s / 80s, but should still be available. Sorry, but I threw all my old Carrier manuals out years ago.

Frankly, if it aint leaking and the un-loaders work, I’d leave it all alone.

If you do take anything apart, you DEFINITELY need a set of the correct gaskets. (Either that or a sense of humour coupled with infinite patience).

PLEH2EREH
11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Been awhile; did you ever get your answer?

compressman2
26-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The vent above the capacity control nut is vented to atmosphere and should be open. There are machines out there that utilize a secondary capacity control system to whereas the vent is put into service to extend or delay capacity control external of the original capacity control. This vent is bad about leaking over years of usage. I manufacture these machines daily in our factory in Knoxville Tn. Call if you ever need service advice on semi hermetic compressors

Mod's edit:
Personal phone No: removed on open internet - not a good idea - invites abuse! Best to use the PM facility.

PLEH2EREH
29-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Your right about the leak compressman2! If the compressor unloader port is being used in a pneumatic control scheme and one finds what appears to be "oil" in the pneumatic control signal tubing, that port would be a good place to start when trying to locate the leak.

jason09
26-01-2012, 03:53 PM
this is an old post so no one will probably read it but wot we do in australia is screw in a 1/4'' brass elbow or some other fitting into this port to stop condensation (often condensation from suction valve runs down and over bell end and into port) getting in and causing leaks.You some times find when they start leaking someone will put a cap on them and then compressor wont load as pressure rises behind cap and on capacity control bellows.