PDA

View Full Version : Low condensing temperatures

crocens
07-06-2011, 04:21 AM
I have a question. all compressor manufacturers tells that compressor can work e.g. at minimum condensing temperature 30*C. My question is what can hapend if i run such a compressor with condensing temp., lets say, 10*C? I know, that compressor should have very light work then. So why manufacturer forbid it, what can go wrong?

RANGER1
07-06-2011, 06:44 AM
crocens,

What type of compressor,piston or screw?

AlexG
07-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Your compressor doesnt work alone. It works in the systeme - compressor, evaporator, expansion valve...
So if you dont want to have LP fault maintain condensing pressure above 30C

crocens
07-06-2011, 06:40 PM
RANGER,
in all types, piston, screw and scroll. I would like to know why to low condensation temperature is forbiden in some/all types of compresor. If in some of theme it is allowable then in with one?

AlexG,
I know it very well :) i like to build and test some of my ideas, now i have few ideas to build system on Very low condesing temp...

RANGER1
07-06-2011, 09:11 PM
crocens,
I'm sure lots of condensing units run with below 30 C condensing in winter.
As long as system components like AlexG says, can maintain balance.

In industrial we do it all the time.

If there is other reasons I don't know what they are (compressor wise).

crocens
07-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Here where I live (Poland) you cant see many (I should say there are almost none) systems designed for energy savings. Maybe heating water is popular.

But i belive there can be better way to have savings, expecialy when you have no water to warm from condensator.

I like to build some of my ideas and check them.
However i work only for 7 years... i am 26 years old and I still need advices from this forum (the best polish forum about refrigeration SUCK to the 10th power...)

So as long as the system is balanced there is no danger to go for a low condensing temps.
And how about oil? wont be any problems on that field? I will chec it by my self tomorow.

Thanks.

mad fridgie
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes there are problems, with very low compression ratios.
You can get valve bounce, where there is not enough pressure to closes discharge/suction valve
You can also get premature liquification in the the compression cycle, which can cause hydraulic issues within the compression mechanism.
Also some machines need pressure difference to ensure correct internal oil flow.
With screws the VI also comes into play (not my feild)

mikeref
08-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Some info about the subject.http://lvhvac.com/cope_bulletins/4-1334.pdf

RANGER1
08-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Some info about the subject.http://lvhvac.com/cope_bulletins/4-1334.pdf

So it can be done, good article mikeref.

mikeref
08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Ah, thankyou Ranger 1, good to see feedback on research is appreciated. Always ready to help:D.. Mike.

crocens
08-06-2011, 01:20 PM
mikeref and ranger1.

Thank You very much for your replays!
All your advises and links are very helpfull.

JoeAT50A
09-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Not at all, go for it crocens, hopefully we could have a sort of COP 10 air-conditioners in near future.
Anything is possible, but nothing is easy, RE forum members are always ready to help.

750 Valve
19-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I would say that screw comps without an external oil pump and rely just on pressure difference could encounter problems if the compression ratio is too low, there will be not enough oil fed to the comp to serve its needs. This being said it is worth checking with individual comp manufacturers as there are many comps that CAN operate at low compression ratios (as booster comps and as part of a 2 stage system).

Peter_1
19-06-2011, 01:04 PM
If your components (like SV and TEV) are selected for low DP's, then you will not have problems. We have plants running at a DP of 5 bar with very high COP's (Bitzer pistons and standard Danfoss controls).

Some oil separators needs a certain flow at a certain temperature to work well. Check this.

A screw needs also a certain discharge temperature to heat up the oil to design conditions.

If you reduce your HP, then your COP will increase a lot. But..the biggest savings is trying to increase your LP. The savings will be a lot bigger with increasing LP compared to the same HP pressure decrease.