PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration Education in South Africa

Cool Force
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi all, I suppose this is aimed at all the South Africans. What is the highest qualification for Refrigeration/Air Conditioning in SA?, How/Where do I attain this? & How do I get an internationally recognised qualification here in SA?

Can't seem to come up with anything on the internet.

Cool Force
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
It seems to be a Mechanical Engineering Degree, with refrigeration, air conditioning, and thermodynamics modules. UNISA offers the Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering, for those interested in part time studying.

tudorice
10-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Depending where u are in SA, u can complete your learnership through goverment sponsorship for free, I attended the SASA training centre in Umhlanga and i know theres one in oliphantsfontein for those in jhb. They range from NQF 1 - 4 i think. After 4 u basically qualified.

Magoo
11-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Then add to that, age and practical hands on experience.

Cool Force
11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
@Tudorice, I'm also in PMB, I remember contacting them a few years ago, my worry is that the qualification isn't internationally recognised(Important for me 'cos I'm not convinced this country is improving), even though they're quite pricey. I'm currently self-employed, so doubt I could go the learnership route. Who do you work for? Or are you also running your own business.

desA
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Contact SAIRAC for information.

SAIRAC = SA Institute of Refrigeration & Air Conditioning (as I'm led to believe).

tudorice
11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
cool force im working at blomeyers, u could get around the whole thing, every registered company should be paying a skills development levy and if u send ppl for training they will reimburse u, so i dont think they will exclude u, might mean u have to do the pre trade and then trade test route. how many years exp u got? Trade test as far as i know is internationally recognised. Coz a few of my mates from ben booysen went overseas with that trade test.

Cool Force
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I just contacted MERSETA, they say the learnership programme isn't for employers. I've got about 2.5 years experience with splits only, which is as good as nothing when it comes to doing a Trade Test.