PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me choose the place for my wall Air Conditioner unit?

veve
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I've bought a wall air conditioner and i want to cool my apartment with it. Basically... i'm interested in just two rooms: bedroom and dining room.

I've made a schema of my apartment here >> http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2293/unled1xy.png

I thought i can put the air conditioner above the bathroom door so the air can flow like in the picture i've made.

Can you, please, tell me if this is somehow realistic?
Maybe others suggestions?

Thank you :)

mikeref
05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Hi there Veve. Your drawing will have the air short cycling. There will be sympathetic cooling to other areas however without an adequate return of warm air from these rooms (circulation), cooling will not be efficient. Suggest two air-conditioners, one for each room.. Mike.

cool runings
05-06-2011, 01:01 AM

Heat moves from high to low so if you cool the passage and leave the doors open
then some cooling will be done in the other two rooms, but not like you think.

The air will not circulate that much but the temp differances will create movement.

But the biggest limiting factor is the size of the unit in the first place.
If the unit is not large enough then no matter what you do it won't work very well.

It is a bad idea to try and cool different rooms with one unit. You would be better
off using more than one indoor unit. Perhaps one in the bedroom and one in the other room.

Units can be bought that are capable of cooling more than one room.

All the best

coolrunnings

veve
05-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks...

To bad i already bought the single unit... (not a split, 2 units, air conditioner)

So... no chance for me... :|

mikeref
05-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks...

To bad i already bought the single unit... (not a split, 2 units, air conditioner)

So... no chance for me... :|
Veve, it now depends on which room is more important really. Could locate indoor unit on far right side of lobby but this still means no direct cooling to either bed or dining rooms. Still, depending on these room sizes and ceiling insulation, one a/c is better than none..Mike.

veve
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Well... i need only a difference of a few degrees: from 29-30 Celsius / 84 Fahrenheit Degrees to 26 Celsius / 78 Fahrenheit Degrees.

Some say that my unit will stop immediately after starting (because the lobby in that area is a small space, where i currently what to place the unit).
From my point of view... IF that area cools immediately, i can just say to the unit: "go even further with the cooling"... and it will work as much as it would work for the entire room (instead of stopping after 10 minutes, it will stop after 1 hour)

And Yes... i understand that area will be cooler than the rest... but it is OK to be in this situation? Or my cooling unit will just stop after 10 minutes and that is it (because the area surrounding it will be cool enough)?

install monkey
05-06-2011, 05:32 PM
you would have to set the temp as low as possible on the controller to make the conditioned room 18deg to give some cooling to the other area.
but you will increase the running costs and reduce the life of the compressor and more chance of the coil freezing.

JoeAT50A
06-06-2011, 04:40 AM
From my point of view... IF that area cools immediately, i can just say to the unit: "go even further with the cooling"... and it will work as much as it would work for the entire room (instead of stopping after 10 minutes, it will stop after 1 hour)
And Yes... i understand that area will be cooler than the rest... but it is OK to be in this situation? Or my cooling unit will just stop after 10 minutes and that is it (because the area surrounding it will be cool enough)?
Shift the return air sensor to somewhere in your room, that will not stop. All air-conditioners are working based on return air temperature cum room temperature and setting temperature.