PDA

View Full Version : Build a very small aircon from fridge parts

JBreefer
03-06-2011, 03:34 AM
I'd like to aircon the front cabin of my boat. Volume is probably less than 500cubic ft.
* Is it possible to build a small compact unit using fridge parts to do this?
* How big a compressor will it need?
Thanks for the help

JoeAT50A
03-06-2011, 04:14 AM
For marine use, most important issues are that all outdoor parts (fins/pipes/casing including screws) should albe and suit for salty environment. If not you need to make traeatment for this.
500ft3 is pretty small, most you can find either fridge compressor or window type air-conditioner compressor.
Best is to use window type or casement type a/c but you need to treat the outdside exposed portions to protect corrosion form salt. Normally pait with epoxy.
Note: Please check your power supply as well, most marine power supplies are 60Hz.

Brian_UK
03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
What is your boat engine? If it is an inboard then consider fitting a vehicle aircon system but with a water cooled condenser.

See your local vehicle breakers yard for parts.

JBreefer
04-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Crikey why didn't I think of that. I have a small diesel to run it from, better than running the portable petrol generator. Thanks

devlin maguire
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Most engine blocks have various pre drilled and sometimes tapped holes to allow for things like A/C, power steering pumps, alternator etc, check out the engine for this , if your a handy fabricator making up brackets should be easy, some sort of tensenior will be required, if It were me I would be down the breakers looking for the whole shebang you might surpise yourself what you can find, me I love breakers yards, and I know from a mate as soon as you put boat in front of anything the prices goes through the roof
Devlin

Brian_UK
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Thinking a little more now,,, I don't think a water cooled condenser would be the way to go as it will be mighty expensive for the size that you might need.

See if there are any small reefer vans around with roof mounted condensers that you can remove, legally of course. ;)