PDA

View Full Version : Air con/refrigeration engineer vs plumbing

kerry85
31-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi
Ive been at college training to be a plumber for the last 2 years and im due to finish any day. Ive been offered an interview for a trainee air con/refrigeration engineer position. Could you tell me more about what this role would roughly involve and possibly why it would be a good career path over plumbing? Plumbing is pretty quiet atm and virtually impossible to get in to anyway!
Thanks

Tesla
31-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Kerry
Generally form what I've seen and heard on the job as a fridgie - fridgie work is cleaner, well I mean there aint no toilet paper in A/C refrig drains. I think it is more interesting, challenging, and varied. Money wise some plumbers get paid more but on average it's the same. You will learn more about other things - electrical and mechanical. There are similarities like fluid systems, drainage, heat transfer, piping and welding. It wouldn't hurt to have a look as the door is open for an interview. Check them out. With your two years learning already it will be an easy and fast tracked apprenticeship. I work on a big variety of stuff to give you an idea in the last month I have worked on Steam heating systems, chillers, boiler controls, a fridge with body parts in it, ducting, cleaning moldy split A/C, changing and repairing PCBs, PVC Drain repipe, BMS Controls, changing filters and V-belts and adjusting thermostats. About a third of this time I had an apprentice with me and I enjoyed passing on the skills.
Don't hesitate and grab the opportunity by the balls and get the ac/fride job now.

Almost forgot - Welcome to our forum Kerry

mikeref
31-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Body parts Tesla?? Reminds me of a job some years ago where i had to slide into the upper tier of chiller that was recently vacated by some-one so as to change the thermostat, when... this prick slammed the door on me!! What happened next, i'll let you guess.

JoeAT50A
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I will advise you to pick-up the HVAC controls consist of all sort of protocol based BMS high levels interfacing. By doing this your collar will turn blue to white, just HVAC service engineer jobs are a bit grey collor jobs as Tesla said.

Magoo
03-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Hi mikeref.
so the air was bluish and smelt brownish. By chance was it a morgue.