PDA

View Full Version : Daikin RZQ100CV1 Leaking Coil

Slim R410a
26-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Could someone point me to the thread about leaking condenser coils for these??

Installed into a server room July '08, wall mounted FAQ100B indoor.

Called out yesterday no cooling. No fault codes. Air on indoor 27, air off 23. Suction 5-6bar outdoor and indoor coils clean so obviosly lost some charge. Small pool of black oil in base of outdoor beneth suction accumulator, which seemed to be dripping down from the top of outdoor, just beneth the top cover, where the coil paths are accessible.

I'm going back in morning to recovery charge and put nitro in to search for leak just wondering if anyone has experienced this before as I've read on here its quite a common issue and even the whole coils have been swapped?

Any help appreciated!

still learning
26-05-2011, 06:49 PM
i cant find threads either, this has been well talked about on here .
full coil replacement is the way to go imho.
and it is a comms room.
sometimes the leak is hard to find , and have had to release the plate where the return ends pass thru, the green leak liquid , sometimes draws a blank, ive even used good old last chance soapy water applied with a paintbrush and waited.

dubati
26-05-2011, 07:05 PM
my money is on the coil where the copper coil ends pass trough the steel end plates!!

i have replaced 2 coils on these daikin 100's its not a major problem as we have a lot of these units and only 2 have failed!
only found with uv leak dye as couldnt find with nitrodgen and bubbles!!
they could still be in warrenty
good luck!!

Brian_UK
26-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I'll go along with Dubati, coils do fail and a new coil is the easiest way to go.

Slim R410a
26-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for quick replies.

System is still under warranty with ourselfs until end of July.

So what do you guys reckon If leak cannot be traced tomorrow speak to Daikin and they will supply new coil under warranty as it is a known issue?

p.s is this leaking coil issue only on the RZQC's? (or B,D too)

Cheers,

Edit: Found these threads.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?30566-Daikin-Condenser-coils&highlight=Daikin+Condenser+Coils

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?12288-Leak-on-system&highlight=Daikin+Leak

Tayters
26-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Can't answer the question about the thread but of the 2 leaky coils I've had experience with I've managed to narrow the leak down to a few return bends of the coil with an electronic sniffer then pinpointed the leak with spray.

In these cases this was a better way than filling up with OFN straight away as at least you could get fairly close to the leak.

Hope the rain stays off tomorrow!

Andy.

hyperion
27-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Well known production problem with RZQ100 and RZQ125 units. Get your warranty claim and get your customer out of trouble.

Slim R410a
31-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Recovery 2kg from which should have been 3.7kg on Friday. Leak seemed to be on third pass from top of the coil.

New coil is being delivered this week under warranty.

Makeit go Right
31-05-2011, 11:27 PM
We had one of these recently. RZQ100 serving a comms room. Very small leak at the bottom on the condenser coil, where the copper passes through the steel housing plate, before bending back on itself and going back through the plate again. The copper had been rubbing on the steel plate. A pig to braze. And we were just outside Daikin's 3yr warranty too.

I called Daikin anyway, as I remembered something about leaking coils being a design issue, gave them the serial number so they could check into it....they confirmed that our unit was in the batches with a design fault and sent us a new condenser coil without a row.

So, before you dive in with the torch, its worth talking with Daikin -- you might have one of the dodgies. Rather a new coil without the design issues than patch up that dodgy one, which could just wear a new hole in a few months time. (And the customer would naturally assume a crap braze even if we showed them a new hole).

Good luck with Daikin.