PDA

View Full Version : Work in Qatar please advise

botrous
01-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi mates . . .
Today i had phone call from an aircon company manager in Qatar and they want me to work for them as he said , just to study the contracts and to follow the formens and the projects . . . . . .
What i knew till know is that i will have a comission on each project + a basic salary , a house , a car an office a mobile phone and a life and medical insurance . . .

Anyone knows what the basic salary ammount that I should ask for ? I have a meeting with their representative in lebanon on monday and need to know how much i should ask for .

Regards

botrous
01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
PS , they know i'm leaving a lot behind to work for them

tonto
02-10-2005, 12:36 AM
At the end of the day how much do you think you are worth??? Maybe start with an offer more than you want botrous and leave a little room for negotiation, as employers always try to bargain.. Or if they want you bad enough they will give you what you want...

Peter_1
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
I know if someone from here is going to work in the Middle East, all his expenses are paid, they have a car, rent of the house is paid, eating.. in other words you don't need any money over there to spend and they put on your Belgium account something around 7000 €/month.

Someone I know is flying for Quatar on an Airbus and he's earning +/- 8500 €/month + all the above mentioned expenses for a price of +/- 6000 € month !
He's beginning 30 years old.

What am I doing here????

Abe
02-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Where its really happening now is Dubai
Thats where all the action is......

botrous
02-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Well tomorrow I gonna negotiate the basic salary and the ammount of the percentage I get for every project I sign for them . . . .
Peter , the house , the car and the mobile phone are on the deal and not negotiable . . .

It was them who called me , I didn't ask for a job there and never sent my cv . . . . does that mean i can put the rules ???

botrous
02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Someone I know is flying for Quatar on an Airbus and he's earning +/- 8500 €/month + all the above mentioned expenses for a price of +/- 6000 € month !

I don't think that they might pay me that much , i think they pay european that much because they are switching there lives from a safe world to a more dangerous one , for me , well , i live in the middle east since i first got a live :) so i think that the slary will be good but not that good

rbartlett
02-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I don't think that they might pay me that much , i think they pay european that much because they are switching there lives from a safe world to a more dangerous one , for me , well , i live in the middle east since i first got a live :) so i think that the slary will be good but not that good

as they came to you let them make the running. they will have a salary in mind so let them play their hand first. It may suprise you either way!!

cheers

richard

botrous
02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
as they came to you let them make the running. they will have a salary in mind so let them play their hand first. It may suprise you either way!!

cheers

richard

Maybe , I'll let them play first . . . maybe i'll be surprised :)
I will let you know the offer they will give me tomorrow after the meeting

terrie73
02-10-2005, 11:02 PM
let me know how u get on as im interested in working abroad

Abe
02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Boutros

Just play it cool, instead of demanding.....
See whats on the table and coerce.......
Get the nax you can at this stage and all the benefits agreed to........

Good Luck

MANIS
03-10-2005, 01:49 AM
i think they pay european that much because they are switching there lives from a safe world to a more dangerous one
It mean you dont know much about Qatar , i must say Qatar is much much safer and better and cheap place & save mony[/B][/COLOR] ( Still 1 liter petrol is cheaper then 300ML Pepsi/Coke , can say 1/4 US$ ) ,, ,,, Give it a chance ,,,( FYI i am also an expat here in Qatar since last 13 years,,,you can check bit a info - http://www.qatar-info.com/ ) and for your Info-- Now a days a Normal Aircon design Engg , consultant draws almost 3 to 5K US$/ Month +P+P+A & All facility (Tax free ) ,,,Now its depend on yours contract ,,,Have a Good LUCK :) ( In the end I must say a fact , All the latest A/C system inventing in West , but they applied 1st in Middle east on a Mass scale , You will find 20K 50K ton's District cooling center !!!! so you can imagine the system ) :D

botrous
03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi guys , I promised to tell you about the offer i get and here it is

Basic salary 4000 USD
Percentage 5% of the net benefit of each project
house , car , phone , 30 days yearly holiday + ticket to the destination i choose , life and medical insurance

what do u think ?

Abe
03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I say.......

Its brilliant, take it

and I think it will be tax free as well

4000 Us is £2500.00 a month or 3500 Euro

botrous
03-10-2005, 10:13 PM
yes Abe tax free ...
I suggested a 3 months trial period and i'm waiting for their reply

botrous
03-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Abe how much a contract manager is payed in UK ?

US Iceman
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
HI botrous,

Is this right?

Basic salary 4000 USD
Percentage 5% of the net benefit of each project
house , car , phone , 30 days yearly holiday + ticket to the destination i choose , life and medical insurance

If this is $4K per month plus all the other this appears to be a good offer. If the cost of living in Qatar is similar to the cost of petrol, you should be able to save a fair amount of money.

The 5% bonus for the job completion appears to be very good incentive.

Is the contract for one year?

Do you have an escape clause, if you do not like it after some time (but before the contract expires)?

Will they pay your moving expenses?

After the contract expires, will they renew at current or better than the existing offer?

If you come back to Lebanon after the contract, can you get your old job back? When you are done with this, you may be looking for a new job??

If the answer to the above is YES, and you want to do this for a year, go for it.

It sounds like a good opportunity for you.

Best of luck with this,
US Iceman

botrous
03-10-2005, 10:46 PM
US Iceman , how are you , i'm still indexing the pdf's but i'm always under pressure so it might take come time.

they will not pay my moving expenses
I asked for 3 months trial so i see if i want the job , if not i return to lebanon
unfortunably , i will not be able to get my old job

Abe
03-10-2005, 11:05 PM
A contract manager here is around 30K to 40 K per year
Take off tax at around 25%

In hand its around 2000 to 2500 Uk per month , assuming its 40K per year

But, cost of living is very high here.........

I think Accomodation expense is high in Qatar

Anything above 40K here per year and the tax shoots up to 40%

Karl Hofmann
03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
When I worked out in Sharjah I used to have to visit Doha Airport to renew my visit visa untill they had sorted my work visa, The general impression was that Quatar was a bit of a grim place but since you are going there to work, then that is OK, especially since Dubai is just a 45 minute flight away so you could have some fun time off now and again.

Best part of the flight was watching the trolly dollies feed and water and collect the rubbish from a plane full of people before the plane lands :p

MANIS
04-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Hi Botros,

Just make sure about the housing , because within last 1 year the house rent has gone up to 300% more ( still demanding high ) and its very hard to find a good house. :) Rest every thing is quite cheap and ok.
C u then

Regards

Lc_shi
04-10-2005, 07:02 AM
HI Botrous,
I don't know about Qatar situation.
Only wish you have a good luck-:)

rgds
LC

Sabroeclaus
04-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Botrous.I was stationed in Dubai for 2 years for Sabroe in Denmark.In 1997/98.My salery was 5500 US.+house car and insurence.So the offer you got is not so bad.
Good Luck

botrous
04-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Guys , I left this offer , i got a better one and here in Lebanon.
A new technical institute is opening and I'm now in charge of the laboratories design and settelement . . .
They are paying well , and as soon as the institute opens it doors to students I'll be in charge of the hvacr section . . . the salary is great . 25 USD per hour for 6 hours a day , saturday is counted a working day but we will be on holiday unless emergency . . . plus the courses I already give in other institutes and my R E work . . . I think that's more better than going abroad.

US Iceman
04-10-2005, 10:59 PM
HI botrous,

I hope this works out for you. Teaching is also an honorable position. :D

botrous
04-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks US Iceman , It's not because of the teaching itself that i refused the qatar offer but because I'm kin of really attached to lebanon . . . and i have both the honors of teaching and working as an R E

malik55
05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Botrous
Qater's offer was aslo good one, But this one is really much much better, beacuse you will be at your homeland with more respect as a teacher and almost same earning,
Also no HYPERTENSION and DIABETICS wich is common in the Gulf due to work stress.
Enjoy it......
malik55

botrous
05-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks Malik , as a matter of fact , staying in my beloved homeland lebanon was the first factor i considered . . . . and usually this factor kills all the other factors , at least for me