PDA

View Full Version : parking parking and parking

phil
29-09-2005, 07:40 PM
just been to cambridge on a breakdown took 5 hours and ten minutes and got charged twenty quid for parking thought london was dear

oi you lot out there whats you biggest every parking cost for a breakdown

all parking attendants are really wonderful human beans
alledgelly

botrous
29-09-2005, 08:50 PM
well 20 quids for parking that's a lot for me , i can park my car for 24 hours here anywhere for about 3 USD , exclude the airport where the parking is for 2 USD per hour , anywhere else you pay the 3 USDs as maximum and park for a whole day , for 10 minutes it 3 and for 24 hours it's 3

chillin out
29-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi botours,( lol )

How much is it for 12 hours?
:D

I got a parking ticket just last week for parking on double yellos by a dumb parking attendant that dont know the rules for service vans.:mad:

eggs
29-09-2005, 11:11 PM
todays best was £3.60 for a 7 til 7 NCP, about 10mins walk from my job, in central manchester.(they do have a mobile security patrol) good value me thinks.

cheers

eggs

Brian_UK
29-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Well, I suppose me paying 50p for 3 hours in Trowbridge today isn't what you really want to hear then is it ??

phil
29-09-2005, 11:28 PM
1 hr 1.60
2hr 3.40
3 hr 7.50
4 hr 13.50
over 5 hours twenty quid !!!!!!!!!!!

im in the wrong job need some land and lots of tarmac in on of the university grounds would not need a degree to get my first million
like most of us still on the way

the actual problem is getting into the pedestrian area before the bollards go up at 10 and come down again at 4pm to get tools etc on site if you have to work in the centre like most towns and traffic wardens an occupational hazard

anyone like to start a thread about speed cameras
hate those to usually the mobile ones.

phil

eggs
29-09-2005, 11:59 PM
by the time my 1.9 scudo is full of gear, believe me, you do not need concern yourself with speeding.

cheers

eggs

Abe
30-09-2005, 10:16 AM
I Got a parking ticket just last week for parking on double yellos by a dumb parking attendant that dont know the rules for service vans.:mad:[/QUOTE]

What are the rules for service vans Chillin??
I understand, providing you leave a "note" in window saying where u are, and stating,

" Working FROM vehicle" you are ok for two hours
This applies single yellow lines
Not sure about double yellow

Maybe you know more
Thx

chillin out
01-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi abe,

This is how I know,

I was working in a town centre and parked my van on double yells and also on the pavement (only to allow traffic to pass me).
When i completed the job I returned to the van only to see the traffic warden slap a ticket on the windscreen. As I approached, the officer seen I was the driver and proceded to inform me (in great detail) of the law on parking.

He told me that I got the ticket not only for parking on double yells but also for being too much on the pavement.
I apologised for any inconveinence and took the ticket. He then asked where I had been, to which I explained that I was working round the corner.

He then said "oh thats differant then" and then explained more parking laws ( in great detail), which in short said ;
You may park on double yells so long as you leave a note in the windscreen.
(so long as you are not an obstruction, and the local council does not have some stupid rules)
You may also park on the pavement (so long as you are not more than a third on it.)

HE THEN TOOK THE TICKET BACK and gave me another lecture on parking laws.

coming back to the local council rules, which turns out to be the case in my other post, this has been quashed by an appeal.

Another note on double yells, never park on them if there is a single line dotted on the pavement as well, because this means an instant ticket. (althogh ive another story about that one)
:) :)

botrous
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
question

Answer

well 20 quids for parking that's a lot for me , i can park my car for 24 hours here anywhere for about 3 USD , exclude the airport where the parking is for 2 USD per hour , anywhere else you pay the 3 USDs as maximum and park for a whole day , for 10 minutes it 3 and for 24 hours it's 3

Regards

chillin out
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi botrous,

It was a joke.

Because you said,

for 10 minutes it 3 and for 24 hours it's 3
I also miss spelt your name on purpose because everone else has. lol:)

botrous
02-10-2005, 07:18 PM
LOLOLOL .... chillin out , i donno , maybe someone spells wrong a word that isn't infront of him , but man they are copying wrong . . . . :)

Marc , I pass . can you give us the answer please

Temprite
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
G'day all.

I just look at the equipment I am working on and drive my vehicle as close as I can get.
on one site I park on the foot path.

Never had a parking ticket once but I used to get them in Melbourne when I worked there.

Cost of parking = zero

Beats getting in your car every couple of hours on moving it.

Abe
02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Temp

Have you been to England??? Our roads were designed to allow carts and horse traffic!!!!
:D

See why its so difficult for us???
:)

Latte
07-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Hello Phill and welcome to my home town,

Cambridge is a nightmare, the council have closed down the biggest car park in town so they can redevelope the area and are trying to force everyone onto the park and ride service. unfortunatly !!!!!! this doesn't help people with vans. Got a £30 fine in st Andrews st last week for stopping 11 mins to unload.

Been down to London this week to do a couple of maintainences and parking in Sloane Sq and Soho Sq was £5 and hour in the meter. I must have spent that again going in shops buying stuff to get change.

Back to Cambrige, it's like everywhere you just have to know where to go to get parked up so it doesn't cost you

Regards

Fatboy

chillin out
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
This probebly frustrate you more,

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/parking

or try

http://www.pepere.org/flash-game_1_x/pepere-and-his-trailer_2.html

Try not to pull your hair out.

:) :)

Snowman123
08-10-2005, 12:21 AM
:eek: £45 For 5 hours parking in Mayfair London. Nuts should have a permit system in place for service engineers. Sting us for road tax then get hammerd for parking, hospitals are the worst places for parking. Apart from Oxford and Cambridge :p.

phil
14-10-2005, 08:02 PM
hi fatboy

i got a new one £60 penalty at m k for displaying a valid ticket !!!

to be fair the ticket has been cancelled though

bought it at 15.43 pm on the 10th for 4 hours ran to next morning at 8.43 on the 11th warden thought i had been there all day and not quite all the ticket was showing so be warned lads display your ticket correctly or like my mate who put his on the drivers window got £30 at norwich as it does say the window screen

stay lucky

phil
14-10-2005, 08:07 PM
snowman

£45 for 5 hours christ thats more an hour than i earn god im glad i dont work in london

how the hell do you cope with that the cogestion charges on top

if i am right if you dont pay that you also get a £60 fine any tell me if thats right

Snowman123
15-10-2005, 05:28 PM
:o Its a pain, you have to pay £8 congetion charge before 10 pm at night or it goes up to £10 i think. Most meters in London are £1 for 15mins. You can get a ticket for feeding the meter so if max stay is 2hrs, you have to move your van/car. Its mad cause at 10am you end up 1mile say away from the job cause theres no parking left in that area. I'm out of the city now work east anglia and upward to nottingham. Ow if you come in early and park there are congestion wardens who note cars that have tryed to dodge the payment :mad: .That £45 a day was in a Ncp in Mayfair London but most are 35 plus a day.http://www.cclondon.com/paymentsandpenalties.shtml

the chiller1
15-10-2005, 07:55 PM
i work in edinburgh where the attendents really are something else.on a single yellow its five mins.a min over that and its £30 fine.there are so mant of them with such a shocking attitude here that i really have considered working elsewhere.i have to budget for at least 2 tickets a week they are so bad.there is just no room for sense with the edinburgh council.unreal.in fact alot of the fridge companies in scotland will simply not work in edinburgh.
rant over.dont feel any better though.got tickets to pay on monday!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Abe
15-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Parking has become another commercial revenue earner for local government

Independent operatives who are ready to pounce and enrich themselves and Councils who farm out the services

Where will it all end??

Only you and I can do something about it.

Question is............what??

typ
16-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Central Car park Swindon Good one there £8 for 8 hours
£35 For 8 hours & 1min.

frank
14-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Great site Des. It must have taken ages to compile.

I've sent links to a couple of buddies. Most of the things you mention - hey - I've either been there or wish I had.

Nottingham has the reputation of being the gun and speed camera capitol of the UK - so far I've dodged both :D We're back in the news today though with the police woman being shot.

The local council are now responsible for traffic policing and they get you if you are 2 minutes over the ticket time :mad:

A neighbour of mine works for Royal Mail and used to collect from the council offices under contract in the centre of town. After the council banned traffic from entering the centre during business hours the council played merry hell because their mail wasn't being collected. They must employ real doughnuts!

it will be interesting to see if you make a difference but in the meantime you have my support in all catagories mentioned :)

rbartlett
14-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I may have posted this before but we have done work for the company who does the meters in Westminster and the manager guy there told me they collect £60,000 a DAY from meters alone !!

Cheers

Richard

phil68
14-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I guess I'm pretty lucky as my company pays all our parking tickets as long as we don't take the piss. I think I put in about 10 tickets last year. As we do mostly pub work it's part & parcel of the job, especially in town centres where parking near the pub is non-existent. If we have to say do a compressor change the only thing we can do is park up outside on a double yellow & unload tools etc. then go & find parking. More often than not there's a vulture lurking to slap a ticket on your window when your back's turned.
What does aggravate me is the fact that the wardens in some boroughs earn commision on the no. of tickets issued, even to the point of winning cars for the highest issuer that year:mad: :mad: :mad:

phil
15-02-2006, 09:44 PM
had enough of parking in cities just do not do london or cambridge anymore changed jobs !!!

it got that bad was spending up to 100 pounds a week out of my wages waiting four weeks to get it back!

working on fixed sites with plenty of spaces !!!

prices will go right up to match had a friend who went to chelsea went up the wrong road did not noticed the c of the conjestion charge turned round and got a sixty quid fine !!

Good luck to alll you mobiles

chill out
22-02-2006, 08:19 PM
When i worked for a company who paid the parking fines on the van i couldn`t get a ticket begged the lady in Weymouth to put a ticket on the van after the parking ran out advised her that i wasn`t putting anymore money on and wasn`t moving till i`d been to the chippy all different when i swapped companies and moved to london got a ticket for being 2 mins over time when he could see me running up the road dropping tools as i went, proceeded to tell him what a nice person he was and had i known he was going to photograph the van i would`ve washed it and posed on the front in a bikini.

phil68
23-02-2006, 09:19 PM
This is sort of related but I was wondering what qualifies for a disabled sticker in a car these days? I have to park in a lot of town centres to do my job & have noticed that a lot of the 'good' spaces near the centres are allocated disabled parking & I have to park much further out. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to have a go at people who genuinely have trouble getting about on their legs but today I was eating my lunch sat in my van in a council carpark & I watched at least four people park up in the disabled spaces with disabled stickers on their windscreen & get out & walk away with no noticeable disability. One of my neighbours qualifies for a disabled sticker & all she's got wrong with her is that she's lost the use of two fingers on her left hand. And she's right-handed:mad:

Abe
24-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Acquisition of a "disabled badge" is one the biggest scams being perpetuated in the UK today.

Got an old bedridden grandma with a bad heart??
You got a badge!!

And you can happily use this badge...........anywhere you choose

Look at the Disabled spaces at supermarkets.........full of mercs, and 4 x 4's..........and happy families.....

Thank You Grandma!!

US Iceman
24-02-2006, 03:40 PM
We have the same problem of abuse with handicap permits here in the US. It seems anyone can get these.

OR,

You just go ahead and park in the allotted spaces to save the longer walk. I don't know how many times I have seen a SUV with no permit parked in a handicap space.

slingblade
24-02-2006, 04:28 PM
We have the same problem of abuse with handicap permits here in the US. It seems anyone can get these.

OR,

You just go ahead and park in the allotted spaces to save the longer walk. I don't know how many times I have seen a SUV with no permit parked in a handicap space.

not as many times as ive seen an "suv" involved in a pit manouvre with the patronising and rather dim witted sheriff john bunnell droning away in the background explaining things in great detail that would insult a three year old child's intelligence. do people in the u.s. hold the same opinion as this?. sorry for the change of subject but the man infuriates me.

oh, i got a ticket in salford the other week, hearty thanks go out to salford city council who very generously let me pay by credit card "to make payment easy". their compassion knows no bounds.

US Iceman
24-02-2006, 05:04 PM
do people in the u.s. hold the same opinion as this?.

These "reality shows" have become so mainstream on public and cable TV, that you would be hard pressed to find anything of worthwhile value.

The type of audience that these shows attract are not much different in any part of the world I would suggest.

The only comment I could offer you is the same advice I follow; if you don't like the show, don't watch it.:D