PDA

View Full Version : Leaking joint in cold room panels

mbreward
18-05-2011, 12:00 PM
We have a leaking joint in our freezer ceiling
The freezer operates at -20ºC & icicles are forming on the ceiling at a joint in the panels
The panels are accessable above the freezer ceiling.

Can someone please advise on the best way to seal the joint?

Is it best sealed on the inside or the outside or both?

Is silicone suitable?
Is there a mastic you would recommend?
Is there a paint or bitumen type sealant that I can paint over the joint on the outside?
Would it be best to screw on a gasket type material?

Comments or suggestions based on your experience would be appreciated.

sedgy
18-05-2011, 02:16 PM
hi mbreward, tell us what insulation is between the ceiling and the roof? sedgy

mbreward
18-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi sedgy

They are cold room panels in the freezer ceiling & there is crawling space above the ceiling so we can apply a suitable product to the top side of the panels

mbreward

chemi-cool
18-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Cut a bigger hole in the ceiling and inject Polyurethane inside, put a piece of cardboard against the hole until its set.

You will not be able to do it or any other repair unless the temp will be above 0°C

Magoo
20-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Seal the outer skin with a mastic sealant, but I would be concerned why and how the joint in panel has opened. Has a forkhoist wacked the ceiling internally or is the floor rising with ice heave.

sedgy
20-05-2011, 10:58 AM
hi mbreward, the sensus of opinium, seams to sugest you are short of insulation, sedgy

mbreward
20-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your suggestions

It looks as if insufficient mastic was applied at the time of installation, warm air is passing through the joint & freezing on the inside

sedgy
20-05-2011, 01:00 PM
hi mbreward, you still havent told us IF there is ANY insulation between the ceiling and the roof ? sedgy,

mbreward
20-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry - only an air gap with crawling space only

sedgy
21-05-2011, 12:08 AM
well sorry mate thats the problem< as you know < heat is getting in< with mouisture< and condencing on the cold ceiling tiles < especialy where the gaps are= ice , well what do you expect?
so getting back to your problem, < the ceiling is not insulated , what about the four walls ? and then what about the floor ? any insulation there ? this site must be costing 4 times what it should be, to run that is

Magoo
21-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Sorry, but why has the panel sprung and created the gap/ vapour leak, what is holding panels in place ,slip joints or panel joiners.
I have large coldstore under tin roofs and the crawl space gets into the +50'C and the panels do not spring apart.
Look further into problem of why panel has opened up. The outer skin is the vapour barrier and all joints should sealed.

smpsmp45
21-05-2011, 06:00 AM
If there is a water source on top of the ceiling then you have to first look for its solutions. Silicone shall help, but to a little extent if there is a water source.
We use Al bitu tapes on the top of such joints & that is definitely a good solution.

devlin maguire
21-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I had this once on a a new room I supplied and after many hours I found out that they were putting fresh part baked goods in it, after I explained that it was for frozen storage not freezing the problem went away,
DM

sedgy
21-05-2011, 10:33 PM
dear all ,
I once had a freezer that had no insulation = now its a fridge, sedgy,