PDA

View Full Version : Where to get replacement fan blades?

monkey spanners
08-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Got a customer with a copeland scroll unit with the 180w 900rpm fan motor, someone has fitted a blade from a 120w motor to it so i have recommended its replaced with the correct size.

Having spoken to the wholesalers these blades fitted to the B4 (also the D1 and D2) condensers are now obselete :confused: (though they weren't when i first recommended it, he who hesitates...)

Does anyone know of a company that sells aluminium blades with a steel hub to fit a D shafted motor?

Haven't got a size and pitch yet but i have a 180w motor to change somewhere else so i'll get the dimentions off that one.

Cheers Jon :)

r.bartlett
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Have you asked Howard at FSW or why not try Remco?

chemi-cool
08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Why bother with blades? Replace the whole thing with a proper fan, if you work out all the little costs you have, it will be cheaper and better to install new fan, S&p, EBM, Ziehl Abegg and you get a happy condensing unit.

monkey spanners
08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Cheers Richard, I'll give him a call tomorrow, i need to order the 180w motor for the other job anyway! I'm waiting on a call back from Beth at climate to see if there are any alternatives.

Cheers Chemi, the blades are about £160 and a similar sized copeland motor/blade/gaurd is £417.
The problem i have found with these in the past is the original has a two part gaurd which clamps the motor and a separate blade, the bolt centers for the gaurd are i think imperial, a lot of the all in one external rotor motors seem to be metric and on these units the bottom two mounting holes are behind the horizontal reciever so i suspect the condenser would need removing to drill the new holes. The customer is tighter than a ducks arse and put off the replacement from when i pointed it out 18 months ago as he didn't want to pay me the travel time, now something else has failed and he wants to combine the two jobs :D

How is your thermal imaging camera working out Chemi? I've seen Flir is selling one for around £900 and i'm very tempted!

Jon :)

r.bartlett
09-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Bet he's a farmer!

NoNickName
09-05-2011, 10:00 AM
A fan+motor assembly for a 180W fan can't cost that much. Go for a similar chinese product in any wholesaler and you will pay a fraction of that price.

chemi-cool
09-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Jon,

I'm about to sign a contract with a large insurance company for being their person for the job, after all they will have to pay in case of a fire caused by electric failure and on the other hand, they never had any cash flow problems......

paul_h
09-05-2011, 11:51 AM
A fan+motor assembly for a 180W fan can't cost that much. Go for a similar chinese product in any wholesaler and you will pay a fraction of that price.
Yeah I would go for chemi-cool said too, a fan/motor/guard assembly, some brands are pretty cheap.

monkey spanners
09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, yes its for a farmer!

Those prices are list from the wholsalers doubt i'll get more than 10% off them, i have fitted some cheap chinese fans in the past but they don't seem to last long, these units do a lot of hours so i'd either like to go with a known good make or idealy a new blade.

I've got the size and pitch now at 20" and 32 degrees with a half inch hub.

I think if i went for a complete assembly the customer would just leave it as is due to the cost, what can you do!

Jon :)