PDA

View Full Version : carrier30gx207 screw comp evaporator leak and gas mixing in watar line

faizsid
05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
any one can help me i have 2 30gx207 air coold liquid chiller both unit at a time comp b1 cooler leak and gas mixing in water line this units 6years old chilled water 6bar mantain why this happan i can not undarstand water mantain 7c

install monkey
05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
chilled water 6bar!!!!-theres ur problem-check ur pressurisation unit or ur quick fill loop!!!

Grizzly
05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Just to add to install monkeys excellent advise.
Circuit B1 is the single comp circuit which may or may not be set to lead machine? (option 5.11 in manual)
Also check section 4.5.7.3 ref loading of individual comps etc.
Based on the little You tell us, you will need to change the circuit gasket on the end of the evaporator (water box cover).
I would assume that you have had such a large pressure differential between the LP refrigeration Circuit and the Chilled water that the gasket has blown.
Either way you will need to find and repair the leak.
Then prove each part of the refrigeration circuit is gas tight.
Good Luck Grizzly

install monkey
05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Max. water side operating pressure kPa 1000

Grizzly
05-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Max. water side operating pressure kPa 1000

If the pressure is 6bar at the moment what has it been?
Either way he seems to have lost control of the system pressures, would you not agree?
Grizzly

Magoo
06-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi Grizzly.
I am familiar with earlier Carrier units, not the one quoted. What type of HX are installed. Shell and tube etc., you mentioned the end cover partition gasget. The original post was gas to water leak. Possible ice up and crushed tube or tube sheet expansion/ failure.
Just interested . Cheers Ta.

faizsid
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
no still cutoff when chilled water pump suction pressuers at 2bar, i watch but my chilled water pump30kw each, both pump runing at a time, its high eficence, suck power to high, instlation time 1 1/2 " they put 3 by pass line water suction & discharge centar fix one gatevalve and open due they told pump is high capacity, i think its chiller young that time they control after this happen what u say

Grizzly
06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi Grizzly.
I am familiar with earlier Carrier units, not the one quoted. What type of HX are installed. Shell and tube etc., you mentioned the end cover partition gasket. The original post was gas to water leak. Possible ice up and crushed tube or tube sheet expansion/ failure.
Just interested . Cheers Ta.

Very good point there Magoo.
You are correct if the evap gasket had gone there would be a charge in balance across the 2 circuits.
Not what is being explained in the original post.
It's more likely to be as you explain crushed/ split tube or tubes to allow for the cross contamination.
These units (GX) have Shell and tube evaps and air cooled condensers.

Faisid,
I would be looking for flow or charge issues somewhere that will cause internal freezing.
Or even someone charging the refrigerated circuit from a Vacuum with liquid.
Without the chilled water pumps on would crush tubes.
Whatever the cause it's a common fault across the 2 systems I believe you are saying?
Poor flow (Re water pumps) Would do it.
There is something not right about what you are explaining regarding the pumps.
At this stage I cannot be more helpful as your last post is not to easy to understand.
If you are saying that your suction pressure is pulling down to 2 bar on 134a, It does indeed sound like crushed evaps tubes.
Maybe it's time to call in a chiller guy to check out what you have.
Cheers Grizzly

yorkman_gr
06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
if Magoo, or Grizzly are right is very easy to check it by pressurizing the vessel ( water side ) just be careful do not over pressure, i know from York water side can go up to 10 bar water pressure, of course before u attempt to pressurizing the vessel u have to recover the ***** from the system that is leaking, and watch your gages if the pressure rising on the refrigeration side the only thing u have to do is locate the leak, i know is to much work but i did it a few times my self and i had success, now about the 6 bar water pressure in the system is not strange ( at least to me ) because if they have big system and they don't have primary- secondary water system, they have to use high head pumps to meat the demand in water supply and overall pressure drop , this is a common cheap installation, good luck

Magoo
07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
If it is a tube or more than one failure, around 10% can be plugged off.

yorkman_gr
07-05-2011, 05:36 AM
you are total right Magoo, and i hope hi don't use iron plugs ( i have seen it too ) just bronze ones

Magoo
20-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi Yorkman_gr.
I haven't come across iron ones, generally use the elliot two peice plugs, with the tappered wedge add a bit of loctite for good measure.
Although I have come across tubes plugged off by drilling out copper tube then tapping out to suit a BSP tappered brass plug fitting.
Had a water cooled condenser freeze up, but thats another story, what a mission that was.

yorkman_gr
20-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Magoo
In my 30+ years working on the refrigeration systems i have seen a lot, and actually i saw few weeks ago , broken cooler and they plug it with iron plugs, so i guess you know what it will happened in a short time, i was telling to the guy do not use iron ones but hi ignore me , God thanks was not a york chiller because by now i have whoopee his sorry a****sssssssssss, any way i wish him a good luck and told him when the chiller become a swimming pull i will offer him one ICIV VSD in a good prise

Emmett
20-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Bad water chemistry can cause tubes to fail.

yorkman_gr
21-05-2011, 06:38 AM
yes Emmett and specially if the water is very hard,in my place the water is very hard lots of calc, i had a few cases with clogged condensers and the worse i had desuperheaters broken and systems full of water, in this case i was asking my self why they took ***** 11 out ( just kidding )

Magoo
22-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Hi Emmet.
Closed loop chilled water systems are very suseptible to tube failure if water is not treated accordingly for PH control. With the temp variances and dissimilar metals and the high PH in water, basically you have a low voltage battery.
called cathodic corrossion.