PDA

View Full Version : Evap trays freezing up

stanthonycold
05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Guys,

We are having trouble with the trays under our evaps freezing up and overflowing out onto the cold storage floor.Last time i thawed them out i put some heat trace there to see if that would fix the problem but within a month they froze up again and started leaking onto the floor.Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening?Why is it happening,does it have something to do with the defrost?What can i do HELP ME

monkey spanners
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
It the drain clear from the evap tray? Or any frost of fungus blocking the drain or p trap etc?

Tesla
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi stanthonycold
You could try insulating the bottom of the trays (to allow them to stay warmer, longer) and ensure there is a delay after defrost, before refrigeration starts to allow the water to drain. Also ensure ther is free flow of the drain pipe to allow the water to get away. Is the drain pipe insulated and does heat trace go down or around the drain?

Segei
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Probably, your evaporator pans are heated by hot gas. There are 2 approaches to supply hot gas. First, hot gas goes to the pan and than to the evaporator(series). Second, hot gas goes to the pan and to the evaporator in parallel. In this approach you have 2 BPRs(back pressure regulators). What supply do you have? Are evaporators located in the freezer(ceiling) or in the penthouse?

ozzy bill
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
is the drain heated ?? and is the drain run to an external source ?

stanthonycold
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes i wrapped the drain with heat trace and insulation and yes the water runs to an external source

Segei
12-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Hot gas defrosting should be set up properly. Additional heaters will not solve the problem.