PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cooling my workshop

JeffreyJ
04-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Hello I stumbled on this forum through a diffrent thread.
What I was wondering I have a workshop that is 14x14x8.
The issue is that in the summer it gets to hot to work comfortable.

Im a lampworker and I have two hoods that are 3.5'x6'x8" and burn torches under each that are GTT torches http://www.glasstorchtech.com/mirage.html.

I have 490 cfm for exhaust and 2 10x4 base fresh airs that is pulled by suction of the exhaust they both read 58 cfm and a third pipe coming in on the ceiling that reads 102 cfm (8" pipe), now all these readings are done when the fan is on...so I know I need more fresh air coming in; this scenario for the winter works great.

I just bought a centrifugal fan that is on a variable switch that has the potential to give me up to 875 cfm from a 10" pipe. http://www.suncourt.com/Centrax.html

Now here is the thing do I want more air coming in on floor level to help assist the hot air to be "pushed out" or do I stay at 80% of what's going out....also would it help if I put in a 3rd fan at ceiling height to exhaust the radiant heat that rises the hoods are set at 6' now.

I burn Pyrex glass and colors that are rich in silver golds and other harmful metals so the work environment needs to be "fresh" side so having a AC unit or makeup air would be too costly. "Spot" cooling might be the key if anyone has a cheap and efficient way this can be done.

Also all the fresh air is coming in on floor level on the cool side of the building so I think my new fan might work just fine. All in all I know its a lot of questions I would love some help.

Magoo
20-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Try an evaporative cooler for localized cooling, they are generally called swamp boxes, one fan and add lots of water.

Emmett
20-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree with Magoo, A swamp cooler is what you need for inexpensive cooling, it also would provide you with the necessary make up air. Your idea of having exhaust at the ceiling is also a good practice.

JeffreyJ
25-05-2011, 03:04 AM
ok thanks I will look into it...the exhaust fan on the ceiling should it just be an open "hole" for the hot air to exit or should I have it on a fan. Also should I put it in the center of the room or on the wall on the opposite side of the torches. Thanks for the fast responses btw.

Magoo
25-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Hi Jeffrey
Try natural ventilators at the highest point of roof, add top hats to stop weather getting in and add bird mesh to stop birds, For more air extract add centrifugal extracts with weather covers included, you buy them as a complete unit. Mushroom lid on top.

JeffreyJ
25-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Magoo my room is 14x14x8 inside a large building there is aprox. 12' of dead airspace above me. If you go striaght up in the middle of my room I would be at the lower end of the roof would that matter, also are you applying your comment on the radiant heat in my room to be pulled out by this setup?

On another note this is the only website that answere my questions, I had posted on others many times...Thanks again.

Magoo
26-05-2011, 04:18 AM
OK, things are clearer, put extracts on outer roof and duct done to your room ceiling level, radiant heat from open flames etc., can be a problem so lots of fresh air will help to overcome problem. Remember if extracting large amount of air, you will need lots of static louvers to allow fresh air to enter your workshop space, otherwise you will get a negative static pressure inside which can collapse ceilings and the like.
Centrifugal fans have a better performance than prop type fan blades. With the evaporative coolers, they rely on hot dry conditions to operate effectively, that is low wet buld conditions, which you will have with the furnaces etc..

JeffreyJ
26-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Great, Thanks for your info.
I have 2 fresh air intakes at floor level that is 6 inch duct also one 8 inch duct at cieling hight wich I plan on shuting till the winter, both are nonassisted ducts.

In the winter months I plan on shutting the floor level fresh airs and opening the cieling ones "in theory cold air will drop through the warm and hopefully get heated by the time it reaches me". Also I have a 10 inch centrifugal fan on a variable speed control under my bench at floor level with ducks faceing each worker.

So now I am going to add a "extracts" in my cieling what size would you sugest all I want is to pull the "hot" out in the summer...my setup is great in the winter when I shut the base fresh airs.