PDA

View Full Version : Eliwell id971 owner instructions for a simpleton

Davebells
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi all, hope someone can help on this one because it seems I must be thick, as the PDF downloaded instruction manual for this controller is confusing the hell out of me

Bought a used fridge display counter controlled by an Eliwell ID971 and I can't seem to control the temperature at all. The compressor runs seemingly from start up through to when it defrosts, and the display seems to show it counting down, rather than reducing temperature. It does work because my own probe shows it dropping to below minus ten degrees centigrade, which is way too cold. I found one setting on the controller which seemed to be telling the compressor to run continuously, and changed that with no effect. Even found somewhere that said you had to switch off to apply new settings, so tried that too. No change, so obviously I'm thick

Could someone tell me, in simple terms, what to do to tell it to display temperature, and have the compressor controlled by the thermostat please ?

If I press and release the 'set' button then scroll through to 'pb2' this says -10.6 which I presume is what it's trying to get to, but I can't change that setting

No password protection or other lock I can find to stop me changing the thing, just the manual which doesn't make it clear what I need to do, which is to keep fresh meat and fish, fresh

Help, please, anyone out there ?

install monkey
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
pb2 is coil temperature
pb 1 is cabinet temp
does the compressor start as soon as u power it up (before the display shows the cab temp)relay may be welded

Tayters
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Could someone tell me, in simple terms, what to do to tell it to display temperature, and have the compressor controlled by the thermostat please ?

Hi Dave,

First off the display will show probe 1 (cabinet temperature) unless the system is defrosting and the controller will always control the compressor as required unless there is a probe 1 fault.

In the case of a probe fault the controller is obviously unable to determine cabinet temperature so it runs the compressor for on for 'Ont' and off for 'OFt'.
For example:
Ont=1, OFt=0 then compressor always on.
Ont=0, OFt=0 compressor always off
Ont=6, OFt=2, compressor on for 6 minutes, off for 2 minutes.
I think this is the setting you refer to.

I'd check is if the controller is trying to cool the unit - is the red LED on under the snowflake symbol.
If it's on then the controller is trying to cool, if it's off and still cooling then the relay is stuck as suggested or the compressor circuit isn't wired correctly.

Check the setpoint - press Set twice and use up/down buttons to set - should be between 0 and 2*C.

Hope that helps for now,

Andy.

Davebells
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys, problem sorted thanks to your help. You gave me enough confidence to open things up and check the wiring. Turned out the thing was trying to cool the evaporator down instead of the cabinet. Probes wired the wrong way round, unbelievable. Changed over and now working fine. This sort of help, especially on a bank holiday weekend is very very much appreciated. If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Bury St Edmunds) please call in for a pint on me
Cheers
Dave

install monkey
01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
good to know we've saved u a few quid-well done