PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration and Air Con Industry

Freezer-Geezer
27-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Over the last week I have been searching and researching everything I possibly can in and around the Refrigeration and Air Con Industry. I have spent many hours on these forums reading almost every post (there is alot of posts on here!)
Why I do this is because in my recent first post I explained that I am looking to leave the Army after 12 years (hard) service in Petroleum Engineering (Operator) but now have found myself with almost no trade and pretty redundant.

The Industry/Trade that seems to excite me the most Is Refrigeration Engineering. From what I can speculate, the job requires that you get to travel around alot. You get plenty of hands on and there seems to be alot of job satisfaction. That kind of work suits me down to the ground.
But to make the great transition from the services back into normal civilian life is a massive commitment and I cannot dive in without knowing I will be making the right decision.
I love the inspiration you guys and certainly this forum has given me to start to move forward and know with a clear and precise mind that I will be making the right decision. But there are still doubts in my mind and I know it aint all smelling of roses and everyone gets a free cupcake after work everyday!

So if you guys wouldn't mind taking just a few short seconds out from your busy day just to help a guy out and let me know a few more things. As alot of the posts i read that have the answers are quite old and I wouldn't want to spend all day doing Post Necrophilia on threads that are 10 years old as things have changed since then. Again guys I really appreciate your answers and your time on this Thank you!

1. How do you see the recruitment levels in the industry in the next 2-5 years?

2. Job satisfaction is my main goal. But like everyone at the end of the day it still has to have the money factor or why would be working at all? I fear that after completing apprenticeship (£10,000pa) what would be the average earn? I see it can range form £20k - £40k depending on overtime?

3. Refrigeration Engineer seems to be a wider spectrum than just "I fix a fridge!" but I am finding it hard to find what different divisions there are within the trade. What is good/bad division to get into? (i.e Commercial/ Industrial/chiller AC only?)

4. Finally, could you please put down some of the most negative aspects you think there is about coming into this Industry. Rather than going down another path.

I really appreciate every reply and apologise if you think I am just repeating stuff that is already been posted in the past. But I think a lot of it is a bit outdated.

Thank you guys!!

Baz :D

taz24
27-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,

1. How do you see the recruitment levels in the industry in the next 2-5 years?

Short term, like within the next year. Not very good. Slow recovery all round
Long term excelent. The industry will be crying out for good engineers.
Get experience and training over the next year or so and get your name out.

2. Job satisfaction is my main goal. But like everyone at the end of the day it still has to have the money factor or why would be working at all? I fear that after completing apprenticeship (£10,000pa) what would be the average earn? I see it can range form £20k - £40k depending on overtime?

For a qualified engineer £20 to £40k is easily do-able but for the big bucks
you will be expected to work the hours. Lots of companies are now paying
salaries so they can keep tabs on cost which will limit overtime.

3. Refrigeration Engineer seems to be a wider spectrum than just "I fix a fridge!" but I am finding it hard to find what different divisions there are within the trade. What is good/bad division to get into? (i.e Commercial/ Industrial/chiller AC only?)

Domestic = You need to know all the specific of a thousand differant small poxy fridges / freezers :)

Light comercial = Domestic through small corner shops, celler cooling, takeaways and such like mostley
direct expansion.

Comercial = The above plus farms, factories, supermarkets and such like.

Industrial = Flooded evaps, hugh big compressors that you can hit with hammers :) Evaporative
condensers and water cooled evaps.

Air cond = Can be domestic, commercial and industrial.

Transportation = If it is towed, dragged or pushed up the motorway, that is transport. You will
need to know your way around a diesel engine as well as a fridge comp :)

ALL THE ABOVE CAN BE MIXED AND MATCHED TOGETHER AND SOME DO A COMBINATION OF ALL.

taz

4. Finally, could you please put down some of the most negative aspects you think there is about coming into this Industry. Rather than going down another path.

Standby = anti social hours.

I really appreciate every reply and apologise if you think I am just repeating stuff that is already been posted in the past. But I think a lot of it is a bit outdated.

Thank you guys!!

Baz :D

No probs...
Most on here offer advise to those who want it...........

taz

Freezer-Geezer
27-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Taz, thank you so much for taking the time and giving me some awesome answers! I really appreciate it.

I didn't know how diverse this trade is until you put it like that. There is so much to learn and I bet you never stop learning. I think that has to be a good aspect of the trade.
Just really hoping to make a smooth transition into it. 1 month of Falklands Island left then a full year of re-training to 1 Battallion, Civ Div!
:D Thank you

Baz

spike78
27-04-2011, 07:55 PM
hi baz
I found my self in your shoes 7 years ago after 8 years in the the royal navy, its not been easy to say the least but if i can help you in any way just pm me and i will see what i can do,
all the best( we used to call you army boys ,craphats lol )

Tradewinds
27-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Baz,
This game has taken me all over the world from Australia to Africa, Singapore, Russia, Kazakhstan and the UK. There are no limits to what you can do with RAC. It's up to the individual how far they want to take it.

Yes you are going to have to take a pay cut and thats the tough part. Maybe the forces can help with placement etc. Is it possible that you could train as an RAC engineer before you leave the forces. (Please PM me to discuss further)

The thing I love most about it is that every job we go to is different. The fault could be electrical, mechanical, refrigerant pressures, plc logic, plumbing or literally anything.

The choice really is yours.

The thing I hate most about it is that we don't always get paid what we are worth. Which is probably why so many people are self employed these days.

Given the fact that you are a petroleum engineer, I would assume you will pick things up fairly quickly.

My advice would be to not cut corners in the first few years. Do it by the book. Start with an NVQ etc and work your way up through the ranks. Find a reputable company with a good ethos for apprentices and training alike. They will be more likely to train you properly than just treat you like cheap labor and have you washing filters all year (which we all did).

Give me a call or PM me when you get back in the UK. And I will see what I can do to help. With summer here, it's probably the best time to be asking for work and I might be able to give you a few contacts.

All the best.

Stuart