PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Service Codes: Info

Paul73
23-04-2011, 11:40 PM
This forum has been pretty good to me in terms of giving me information on running my Daikin. However, the info I needed on codes was pretty spread around the forum, and took me a while to dig out. In some ways that was good - it meant I had to read a bunch and had a reasonable idea what I was doing by the time I actually worked it out. But it also meant I tried a few things that probably I didn't need to.

Anyway, this thread is looking to summarise some of the Daikin codes, and how you actually use them. We've been gradually renovating our house, as we did that we've insulated, double glazed, and sealed properly. The heating/cooling load in our house has dropped quite a bit as we go, so our Daikin ductet unit is now oversized for the house. The things I was trying to do were:
- set the fan to go on a lower fan speed - I didn't need so much air blowing
- set the fan to turn off when not heating/cooling, as the air blowing around was annoying
- set the unit to use the thermistor in the wall controller, as once the fan turns off, measuring temperature in the return air causes the unit to cycle more frequently than it should (the air in the ducts under the house cools much faster than the house itself, so with the fan off, the unit would cycle quite quickly)

Firstly, how to enter the Daikin service codes.
1. Press and hold the "test" button. The controller should show "10". From here you can enter the 10 and 20 series codes, in particular changing fan speed and setting to read the thermistor in the controller
2. Press and hold the "test" button again. The controller should show "40". From here you can enter the 40 series codes - in particular accessing the temperature readings
3. Press and hold the "test" button again. The controller should show "50" From here you can enter the 50 series codes - which are really supposed to be for Daikin service personnel only - they can break your unit (i.e. use at own risk)
4. Press and hold the test button again. The controller should show "60". From here you can enter the 60 series codes - of which I know nothing other than that they are still more likely to irreparably break your unit than 50 series codes.

To actually enter a code, from any of the 10, 40, 50 or 60:
- use the temperature up and down buttons to change the primary number - e.g. to select 41
- use the clock up button to select the secondary code - e.g. to select 01
- use the clock down button to set to a particular value - e.g. to set to 02
- press the set button (clock with a cross through it) to set the value
- press the test button to exit. The unit should reset - showing 88 on the controller (it doesn't do this for 50 series codes)

To give an example, to set code 22-2 to value 01 (often shown as 22-2-01 on this forum) you would:
- press and hold test button - controller shows 10
- use the temperature up and down buttons to select 22
- use the clock up button to select 2
- use the clock down button to set to 01
- press the clock with a cross through it
- press test
- controller shows 88, unit resets

The codes that I think I'm aware of (user beware and all that, but all these seem pretty safe)
10-2 temperature sensor selection (this may be factory setting, and you should use 20-2 instead)
.10-2-01 measure temperature from some combination of controller and return air
.10-2-02 measure temperature from return air
.10-2-03 measure from controller only - if your unit supports this setting (mine doesn't)
11-2 factory setting for fan speed, don't change this, use 21-2 / 22-3 instead
12-4 perhaps controls how much temperature change you need to shift the unit from heating to cooling and vice versa
12-4-01 default (not sure what the default is)
12-4-02 1 degree set point
12-4-03 2 degree set point
20-2
.20-2-01 measure temperature from some combination of controller and return air
.20-2-02 measure temperature from return air
.20-2-03 measure from controller only - if your unit supports this setting (mine doesn't)
21-2 allows you to cut inside fan when outside unit stops heating/cooling
.21-2-02 cuts fan on heating and cooling
23-2 fan speed.
.23-2-01 - LL
.23-2-02 - set fan speed - I think this lets you set from controller
41-1 report what the different temperature sensors are reading
.41-1-00 reports controller thermistor
.41-1-01 return air
.41-1-02 liquid line return temp (no idea what one of these is, guessing it's part of the external compressor)
.41-1-03 suction line thermistor temp (no idea what this is either)
50-0 one thread on here suggested it did what 50-4 does on my unit. Not sure if this is different on different units, or just wrong on the thread
50-4 seems to be fine tuning for 10-2
.50-4-01 if you've set 10-2-01, setting 50-4-01 reads temp from controller only, not combination with return air

Hope that helps someone do the things I did. And hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will point out anything I got wrong in that summary.

Paul73
28-04-2011, 10:00 PM
OK, so having done all this, I now have a question that I'd love some help with.

I've set my fan to LL (when it's on) using 23-2-01, I've set the internal fan to only operate when actually heating or cooling using 21-2-02, and I've set the temperature sensor to use only the thermistor in the BRC controller using 20-2-01 and 50-4-01.

I'm finding that my heating is running very infrequently (which is good), but also means that I get hot and cold spots in the house, and unfortunately my controller seems to be in the warmest point in the house. I can just set the temperature a bit higher to compensate (so setting to 23 degrees instead of 21), but what seems to happen is:
- cold spots develop, heating eventually kicks in when controller drops to 21 degrees C, that means other bits of the house are at about 19 degrees C
- the fan stirs all the air up, so all the house heats to 23 degrees, which is really a bit too hot
- it takes a long time to drop again to 21 degrees, during that time cold spots develop again

I'd still prefer not to run the indoor fan continuously, although I know it would fix this issue by keeping the air stirred up. What I'd like to do is to change the unit so it runs a tighter tolerance - it seems to have a 2 egree tolerance. I thought this was the set point setting 12-4-02, but I suspect that's really only dealing with changeover from heating to cooling and vice versa - I deliberately run my unit heating only or cooling only - I don't see the point in cooling in the middle of the day during the heating season.

I think my best option is to buy a separate temperature sensor and put it somewhere more representative, thereby getting me a better median temperature. I'm not sure how hard these are to attach, and whether I'd need to get someone out to do so or whether I could do that myself. I'm also wondering if there are other options that I should look into first - ideally I'd be able to make the unit a bit more sensitive to temperature change, so it ran say every hour or so, instead of every 2-3 hours like it is doing at the moment. Is there a setting that I could use to do that?

Tayters
28-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Paul,

Firstly congratulations on the research and tinkering you've done so far. I take it you've no previous AC knowledge other than what you've read, fiddled with etc.

If you register on the Daikin website you can search for your model and download the manual with all the codes in. That's the English site anyway, not looked on the Australian one. Field codes differ depending on type of unit. Some types have a thermostat differential of 1 which can be changed to 0.5 for example. (see link below)

Have a read of this thread as it seems to cover topics similar to yours.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?31356-Daikin-VRV-III-issue

I'd have thought you could fit a remote sensor, set the field code to read from return air thermistor and see how that goes. Alternativley as an expeiment can you extend the current thermister and put it in the room. Obviously make sure the new connections are good with decent cable preferably not too long as any resistance introduced will give a false reading to the unit.
As to the differential setting that function will depend on the model. What type is it?

Cheers,
Andy.

Paul73
30-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Excellent, I've started the registration process at Daikin, they've acknowledged it, but not sent a password as yet.

You are correct, no AC knowledge prior to having a fiddle with ours. I have a reasonable IT background though, so as long as it's electronic and programmable I'm generally OK to work through the process.

The controller is BRC1D61. The external unit is RZP145DV1. The internal unit is FDYP145DFV1. The label says they're both Australian assembled models, so may be Australian specific.

Paul73
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately, Daikin UK appear to have noticed I'm in Australia, and have told me to register for the Australian extranet instead. I can't find such a thing, so I'm stuck a bit now. Is someone who is already registered for UK able look and see if there's a service manual for RZP145DV1, or something similar?

Tayters
04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Check your email old chap