PDA

View Full Version : Conversion to remote condensers

spimps
23-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Have a customer with three 2.5 meter wide dairy deck cascades (interlevin) in a small shop which has been around the 30c plus mark when weather is warm so they are struggling as they appear to be rated at max ambient of 25c,twin condenser units on each deck.
He wants me to fit a/c unit but think siteing the condensers outside would be a cheaper and better option.
Pipe runs of perhaps 3 to 4 meters,adjusting charge for extra pipework,any thoughts?
He called me and said he was in B&Q and was looking at a £300 portable ac unit,would it be ok :eek: for the job.

Brian_UK
23-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Tell him not to be a jerk and get the job done properly.

Your suggestion is the best option, tell him his energy costs will go down so there is money to be saved in the long term.

Tayters
23-04-2011, 11:32 PM
When we did refits for the Co-Op the had AC installed due to the amount of integrals in the smaller stores.
On the plus side it may be benificial to his heating costs in winter.
On the minus side he's paying to take heat out which he wouldn't need to if there were remote condensers.
Depends on the size of AC required but he'll be looking at more than £300 from Bitch & Queue.

Depends on price for each and running costs for AC.

Cheers,

Andy.

Toolman
24-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Portable A/C units will inject more heat into the store so stick to your guns dont say yeah the A/C's will fix it or you will be blamed , say the remote condensers is correct , in fact put the whole dam system outside. Let him decide he's the expert NOW , just stand back and watch

spimps
24-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I thought perhaps two out of three converted and leave one as it is which might help the winter heating issue.

Toolman
25-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Sure still the same thing as I said all outside , if the units pump that much heat into the shop from the condenser your considering using it as a heater it must pump some heat and therefore bad in summer .
Heating and Cooling a space is best done with an A/C unit as it can be controlled and is the right capacity ,
get them out !!!.

spimps
26-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Finally got him to understand and accept my idea but will put them all outside,he can hardly speak the language which makes trying to explain the best option 10 times more difficult.
having said that he seems to do well in a business that "locals" have struggled with!

mad fridgie
27-04-2011, 01:05 AM
you could be really smart, and supply new additional conds, and have diverting valves, out side cond for summer, and inside cond for winter (heating the store)

spimps
27-04-2011, 09:50 PM
It took me long enough,just avoiding a Basil Fawlty moment to get the origional remote idea across,and I couldn't master urdu in time,still struggle with english!:o

Spanner monkey
22-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I have done this same thing in the past, and by the time everything is done, its cheaper to have just added or updated the AC. Guys like Interlevin are jst box movers, the moment you start asking big questions that is not on a brochure, they can't help.

Save yourself some pain and go down the AC route, just not from B&Q ;-)