PDA

View Full Version : Bottle/cylinder rack

monkey spanners
22-04-2011, 01:11 PM
How do you secure your bottles in the van? I carry around six bottles to cater for the varied stuff i work on, I used to just put them where they'd fit but have had a rack for a few years with ratchet straps to hold then secure,more incase i'm in accident than just general driving. Trying to decide what to do in the new van.

I have not fitted my old rack in the newer van yet, just have a strap through the handles tied to the loading hooks in the floor and am pleased with the extra space.

Jon :)

al
22-04-2011, 02:47 PM
i've a Bott shelf as a bulkhead and i use a ratchet strap for the dumpies. Cuts the rattles right down!!

Alec

marc5180
22-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I put them behind my tool chest but there not really secured that well.

chemi-cool
22-04-2011, 04:32 PM
They just stand there between the boxes with spare parts and the tool boxes like 5 little fat soldiers.....

monkey spanners
22-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

Thats a great description Chemi :D

I have been sawing up plywood all day, inbetween the standing about and looking at it.....
I might post some pics if it turns out well :p

Jon

cool runings
22-04-2011, 08:55 PM

In one of my transits when it arived it had been fitted out proffesionaly.

The bottles were held in, in an ingenious way.

The floor had a plywood base screwed down with 4 large circles cut in,
the circles were just larger than the base of the dumpy cylinder.

Then screwed to a bulkhead was another hinged plywood sheet with 4
more smaller holes sawn inside. This plywood sheet fitted over the necks
of the handles on the bottles.

The cylinders were put on the floor with the base of the cylinders inside
the holes in the floor based ply. The hinged bit lifted up and drops over
the neck of the cylinder.

So with 2 sheets of ply and a few hinges 4 bottles were secured and never
once moved. it could easily be made to fit 3, 4, 5 or 6 cylinders very easily.

Cheers

coolrunnings

Tradewinds
23-04-2011, 03:50 AM
That sounds like a good set up cool runnings.

Jon,
I have purchased some plastic molded straps from BOC. You just screw them onto the plywood and it has a velcrow strap to secure the cylinder. They can handle up to about 100kg so they work very well for standing up notrogen cylinders.

mikeref
23-04-2011, 10:28 PM
There are times when bottles are a different shape and won't fit in custom design. Then, sometimes bottles are in the way when transporting motors or condensing units,( never enough room in vehicle). I have it set up so bottles can be positioned just about anywhere on the floor.

lowcool
28-04-2011, 08:13 AM
mine sit in a tray over the tyre arches,but im not carrying thirty kilo bottles,if all else fails their is always the trusty milk crate

SeanB
08-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Stores are getting a little snotty about me shopping and leaving with the milk crates...........

Especially as they are really nice crates, and have a lot of uses, you can even carry milk in them if you want.

cadwaladr
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
yeah it like them bread trays they make a great stack system in my garage,upside down milk crates make great steps for reaching saves getting the ladders out of the van