PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

Mayfair
13-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Guys
Please be kind to me :o I am an electrician of 30 years experience working in Spain and of late have been working a lot for a big letting agency and they are forever at me about AC mostly small units but they keep asking if i can give the units a pre summer look at clean and top up,???????????????? As i said be kind I have fitted AC units in the past about 5 to be exact Qs are Do they really need topping up each year I can easily clean the filters etc just a bit confused as to why a so called sealed system should need as they put it topping up. I have a vac pump and manifold set but really unsure about this ........As i said play nice
Thanks

monkey spanners
13-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Imagine they had asked you to check the apartments and replace all the fuses that keep blowing...

As a sparks you know they don't blow with out a reason, well its the same with refrigerant, if the system had the correct charge to start with, and is now undercharged, it has a leak which needs finding and fixing. They do not require, and it is in fact illeagal to do so, 'top ups'.

You will need a recovery machine and cylinder, leak detector, nitrogen and regulator, weigh scales, vac pump, gauges, various other tools, both general and trade specific to go about locating and repairing a leaky system.
The other equally if not more important thing you need is an up to date F gas refrigerant handling certificate to be working on such systems, both you and the people who contracted you would be liable for prosecution for non compliance. Just google f gas regulations to see what you would be getting yourself into!

Jon :)

Mayfair
13-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi M8 thanks for reply Im in Spain so dont have as many regs to cope with as in the UK (Thank God) I have a carrying cert for the gas bottle have some of the equipment just been looking at gas detectors. Have the gauges and Gas for the new installs and just ordered a vac pump.

Imagine they had asked you to check the apartments and replace all the fuses that keep blowing...

As a sparks you know they don't blow with out a reason, well its the same with refrigerant, if the system had the correct charge to start with, and is now undercharged, it has a leak which needs finding and fixing. They do not require, and it is in fact illeagal to do so, 'top ups'.

You will need a recovery machine and cylinder, leak detector, nitrogen and regulator, weigh scales, vac pump, gauges, various other tools, both general and trade specific to go about locating and repairing a leaky system.
The other equally if not more important thing you need is an up to date F gas refrigerant handling certificate to be working on such systems, both you and the people who contracted you would be liable for prosecution for non compliance. Just google f gas regulations to see what you would be getting yourself into!

Jon :)

Mach 2
13-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Re a little help please
Read and take on board monkey spanners wise words, and never imagine that being trained in one field of engineering makes you proficient in others

monkey spanners
13-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi M8 thanks for reply Im in Spain so dont have as many regs to cope with as in the UK (Thank God) I have a carrying cert for the gas bottle have some of the equipment just been looking at gas detectors. Have the gauges and Gas for the new installs and just ordered a vac pump.

Well unless Spain has stopped being in Europe, you are now covered by the same regulations as we are here, like i said have a look at what is required under Fgas regulations. I really won't go into my opinions of people who flout these regulations as we would be likely to fall out very quickly...

On a more practical point, you can't charge modern ac kit with just gauges, pressures are meaningless with inverter technology. Even old school stuff needs charging to within a few gramms.

Gideon Beddows
23-04-2011, 11:47 AM
why not offer to put up a UK fridge bloke and his family for a couple of weeks for a Bussmans holiday?

This board would be a good place to start?