PDA

View Full Version : Electrolux RM4217 - Electronic Ignition faulty?

Kedishen
13-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi All

Have searced forums and have not found an swer so I hope somebody can help me.

I have an Electrolux RM 4217 3 Way Fridge.

12V and 240V work well, fridge stays cold etc.

However, the gas portion stopped working last weekend. The electric ignition would work and was visibly sparking, but the gas would not ignite beyond popping.

So, I have taken the frideg out, thoroughly cleaned and inspected all the gas parts and pipes and it will now ignite from the sparker.

However, the sparker will continue to spark AFTER the gas has ignited. It did not used to do this, and should not be. As the fridge warms up, it will gradually slow the spark down, and then stop when it is warm.

At first I thought it might be the flame failure device, however it occurred to me that it cannot be as surely the valve would close when i let go of the 'dial' (not sure wat to call it, press it in and turn to allow gas to go through, hold for 15 sconds after ignition otherwise its goes out).

Does the ignition bit (goes in the bit where flame is created) need to be placed at a particular angle to detect if the flame is alight?
I noticed that when it did light over the weekend (as it did once or twice but didn't keep going) that the ignition continued to spark even when the flame was going.

So the only thing I can think of is a black box on theback of the fridge where the electric ignition wires go into, and then out down to the sparker. Does this control and recognise when the flame is lit or does something else do that?

Anyway, question is:

How do I stop the Electronic Ignition from sparking when the flame is alight?

Thanks.

Regards
Scott

Brian_UK
13-04-2011, 07:10 PM
As you suggest, it sounds like the ignition module is beginning to fail.

Quite a few companies stock spares for that model, try a Google on the model number.

Kedishen
14-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked up this replacement item and they want £50 on ebay, £72 from part master.

I would prefer not to spend that sort of money if I can help it.

Is there anything I can do to service the part?

Thanks.

Regards
Scott

sger9
14-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi. Dampness can have a similar effect on those modules. if its not like that long, it may be worth having a look at the pcb in the module and look for signs of moisture. had the same trouble with the older version of that fridge. sometimes if its got in time, it can be dried out. clean any corroded tracks and repair with silver paint (the type used to repair rear windscreen heaters). hope Youre lucky.

Brian_UK
14-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked up this replacement item and they want £50 on ebay, £72 from part master.

I would prefer not to spend that sort of money if I can help it.

Is there anything I can do to service the part?

Thanks.

Regards
ScottCompare parts costs with cost of replacing fridge.

Kedishen
16-04-2011, 12:53 PM
SGER9, thanks for the info.

I will take the unit off and let it air.

I did this with the electrics module on the carver cascade heater and it worked a treat.

Thanks for replies all.

Brian_UK
16-04-2011, 09:17 PM
It might also be worth trying your local boiler spares wholesaler, they might be able to match the item at possibly a lower price.