PDA

View Full Version : oil trap

billdozza
08-04-2011, 03:38 AM
have 5 ton r-22 system and air handler is 20' below condenser, there is a trap at the exit of the air handler which is ok, but where outdoor suction line enters condensing unit there is a large inverted trap, just wondering if this is good practice because when i remove gauges I feel like I am a member of o.p.e.c.

Tesla
08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi billdozza
The outdoor suction line does not enter the condenser on any refrigeration system so please look and reword your question. Also what or who is o.p.e.c for the rest of us who are not in the usa.

RANGER1
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Organization for the petroleum exporting countries..... OPEC

billdozza
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
mr tesla if this helps u out i mean condensing unit and in my condensing unit i have a condenser and compressor therefore there is a suction line at my unit. this is not a remote condenser

Tesla
09-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Hi billdozza
Thank you for the rewording. The inverted trap is to help prevent oil from slipping back down the suction riser so it looks like it's doing the job. It is normal and good, but prevention is better than the cure so an oil separator should be in the condensing unit discharge to minimise the amount of oil going to the evap.