PDA

View Full Version : freezer insulation

jayjay
01-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi all. Its been awhile. I need help with my cooler and freezer. I need to insulate them better. Money is the issue. So replacement is out of the question. The freezer (3500 SF) is on a concrete floor with no insulation under it. Is it worth the work to install 4" of insulation on top of the concrete and cover with plywood and steel diamond plate. This is how a frezzer was done that we disassebled for someone. Is it cost effective? will I save any electric?
Same story for the cooler (1200SF) and the cooler has a dropped ceiling in it. Like you see in an office with 2' x 4' tiles. Does it pay to spray some insulation on the top of that to help seal it up?
Any thoughts would be great

mikeref
02-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Any insulation is better than none but never seal the inside of a coldroom. Surprised freezer room floor didn't raise and crack up from water being sucked in and frozen in cement. Standard freezer insulation is 6 inches, coldroom= 4. Seal outside of rooms only as sealing inside will trap moisture in the insulation over time.. Mike.

jayjay
03-04-2011, 03:07 AM
thanks for responding. Unit is at least 35 years old. It looks like the floor was poured on grade and the left channels every 24" that air can flow through. No cracks anywhere in floor. It works except for the lack of insulation. I figure it will cost $5,000 to install new floor over existing. The question is is it worth it?

mikeref
03-04-2011, 04:19 AM
Hi jayjay, To answer your question, we would need to know how often the freezer is used. If you add insulation on the floor, will there still be adequate ceiling height? (some freezer rooms here are low)..Mike.

Peter_1
03-04-2011, 07:31 AM
What's the size of the freezer?

mikeref
03-04-2011, 11:39 PM
3500 square feet. Around 400m2.

Magoo
04-04-2011, 01:59 AM
With the natural vents under the floor seems to have stopped any ice heave. The heat gain from floor slab is generally the smallest. External walls and ceilings are the highest, so forget about the floor and consentrate of the high heat loads, particually door openings and air changes, rapid riser doors as well as slider can save money, ventilation in ceiling space will reduce ceiling gains, spaying on eurothane on exterior will reduce wall heat gains. Cycling evap fans in off cycle will also reduce compressor loads and reduce air infiltration loads as well.

magoo