PDA

View Full Version : Leaking car air con service port! A sealer cap?

albanus
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
HI
Re-gassed my '97 Astra mk3 air con via low-side port with R134a from a can. When I detached the gauge I could hear a hiss coming from the valve. I've tried fitting and releasing the gauge adapter a few times - still hisses. I've left the gauge on temporarily - closed - to stop leakage.

Is there some kind of a sealer cap I can fit? I think it may be 1/4"? It's a Schrader-type valve but bigger than car tyre ones and not a screw fit though the dust cap sort of screws on. Don't fancy using a tool to replace the core whilst preventing the escape of gas. Would the dust cap with some thread-fix sealer do the job?
It was all going so swimmingly.....

monkey spanners
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
This is the sort of thing you would have been tested on when you passed your F gas exam...

cool runings
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
This is the sort of thing you would have been tested on when you passed your F gas exam...

This one is going to be fun :)

Coolrunning.

Grizzly
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I may be wrong but is not Vehicle A/C exempt from F gas?
Grizzly

Brian_UK
01-04-2011, 11:31 PM
It is when you buy it from Halfords.

mikeref
02-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I would say the valve is bent or loose. Special valve remover needed to check its position. "Cans" of do it-yourself are illegal over here, so do not know what tool was used to depress valve. Also, only green/red or grey plastic caps available to keep out dust, so never come across anything to seal in pressure. New valves supplied in pack of 5 here. Looks like a trip to auto shop for someone to change out the part, and check why you needed refrigerant in the first place.. Mike. P.S, replace high side valve while you're at it.

sedgy
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
albanus, there is a tool that is usually in a fridge mans tool box its a schrader extraction tool with a valve on it to stop any gas from leaking ,sedgy,

albanus
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
OK thanks guys - so looks like the valved core replacement tool is the only way then? - can't believe that there isn't just a sealer cap or closeable coupler of some sort. Even tyre Schraders have them and the pressures can be very high in those (but yes air isn't refrigerant).

monkey spanners
02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Most of Defra's pages seem poorly linked, but found this,

http://www.naasltd.com/Resources/FileBrowser/Media/Documents/Level%203%20Certificate%20in%20MAC%205101.pdf

Pretty sure anyone working on car air con needs a MAC F-gas ticket now.

Albanus, did your top up can system connector screw on or did it click on similar to a garden hose connector?

Is your car R134a? might be worth getting Kwikfit to suck the gas out for you, pop in a new shreader valve and then get them to top it up again. If it is a click on connector then the valve will be a bigger size, you could get one from Vauxhall. If it was a screw on connector then they are the same size as normal fridge stuff, generally.

charlie patt
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
cars is covered by f gas and being a astra the valve is the least of your problems because you can bet a lot of money the condensor is leaking the reason for valve leaking is the collar on these refill cans is to deep and slightly bend the valve

albanus
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Regs?! Halfords sell these kits to DIYers. I got one from elsewhere without sealant in it. Yep car is R134a.
The can/gauge system 'clicked' on. Trying to avoid replacing the valve or core. The dust cap does screw on so I'd have thought some kind of screw on cap with o-ring would seal it as it's the low-side.... Kwikfit is an idea - tho I didn't know they stretched to replacing valves?

mikeref
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
just to replace the core is no problem, unless it's bent or damaged on the thread. Check Charlie Patt's post #10.. Mike.

Teddyt
04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Will go with the fact that you have maybe bent the schrader valve or stretched the spring with your dodgy refill can. You can use a schrader remover tool to exstract the schrader and fit new one without loosing refrigerant but I would leave this to someone who is f gas compliant and defo not quick fit :D