PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase soft starter

exotiic
01-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Good afternoon all,

I have two 3phase 15.75kW ducted units servicing my home. About 25 year old custom designed units and working absolutely perfectly. I was just thinking would it be any benefit to the system to install a 3 phase soft starter to each unit. Would that protect the compressor at start up or is it mainly just to protect from the higher startup current and costs?

I dont have any intention to replace the units, they are specifically designed and fitted under the home and would replace components as and if required, so am rather looking for a way of maintaining or promoting longer life within the components and any future ones.

NoNickName
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

exotiic
01-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Not so much trying to fix, but maintain or extend life expectancy and reduce startup currents and thus costs

D.D.KORANNE
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Another idea is to install a Variable FrequencyDrive .The VFD can be programmed to start up the compressor at say 30 Hz for five minutes & then ramp up the speed to the full rated speed . This way you can limit start up current & yet save energy when it is not fully loaded . However , check for the monimum speed as recommended by compressor manufacturer & program its frequency for start up .............