PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia alarm detection.

Magoo
01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
I currently have a client that insists via there company policy of detection levels for alarming and evacuation, which I regard as totally rediculous.
Example:- Low level alarm 25ppm, controlled evacuation, High level 35ppm total evacuation and Fire Service attend on site, weighted average zero.
The total plant is 20 odd years old, glands leak, the plant is not smelly.
My reaction is, bad breath and body odour would set alarm off, they have computer monitoring and the levels bounce around constantly.
This is a GF group company, which is relative to the Australasia region , OZ and NZ.
Typical case of OH& S gone mad.
Check 25ppm/ 1000000.00ppm average a bees whisker. The draeger sensors are a there absolute minimum sensitivity and reaction reliability range. The staff spend a lot of time at assembly /evac., areas.
Comments from Australasia and others please

Grizzly
01-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Personnel protection 25/35ppm. in work areas or areas Yes.

But not in a plant room.I am now seeing similar in the UK.
What are the Industry guidelines for your part of the world?
Grizzly

Magoo
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi Grizzly.
thanks for comment, I think I have convinced client to partition the alarm monitoring system to 1/ process area at 25/35ppm, and 2/ the unmanned plant room, at a set of higher levels. I thinking of low level at 100ppm and high at 350ppm. All with a time waited average. The plant room has all the remote trigger and isolation of power etc., and ep extraction fans and lights, wash showers etc., to comply with local codes.

Josip
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi, Magoo :)

I currently have a client that insists via there company policy of detection levels for alarming and evacuation, which I regard as totally rediculous.
Example:- Low level alarm 25ppm, controlled evacuation, High level 35ppm total evacuation and Fire Service attend on site, weighted average zero.
The total plant is 20 odd years old, glands leak, the plant is not smelly.
My reaction is, bad breath and body odour would set alarm off, they have computer monitoring and the levels bounce around constantly.
This is a GF group company, which is relative to the Australasia region , OZ and NZ.
Typical case of OH& S gone mad.
Check 25ppm/ 1000000.00ppm average a bees whisker. The draeger sensors are a there absolute minimum sensitivity and reaction reliability range. The staff spend a lot of time at assembly /evac., areas.
Comments from Australasia and others please

Sorry for you ... please chek my sig.... in this case the second row;) ...

Best regards, Josip :)