PDA

View Full Version : Modifying standard reefer unit to run on electric input possible?

javs
29-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a stationary climate chamber that for now can be considered similar to a trailer. I need to cool the chamber down to temperatures as low as approximately 15 degrees Fahrenheit and have been looking at the possibility of installing a reefer unit to accomplish this. It's not an option to power the unit via gas/diesel, it will need to be electric. I have seen a couple of All-electric reefer units, however most of them are more expensive than the budget I have allotted to me. Since standard reefers are easier and cheaper to come by, I'm wondering if it's possible to modify a more classic reefer unit to run on 1-phase or 3-phase electric power.

I've tried to research how standard units work, but I've really struggled to come by good material. If anyone can point me towards some helpful info I would appreciate it. In the meantime it makes sense to me that if the gas/diesel is used to power a generator which in turn powers the reefer, then the generator could be bypassed with direct power input. From the little I've been told from others though, it seems like maybe that's not how these units operate?

If anyone has done anything like this, knows that it can be done, or has any other general advice or discussion to input, I would appreciate any/all of it. Thanks!

-Joel

Magoo
30-03-2011, 12:09 AM
What are you trying acheive, more info on the end result could perhaps prompt some useful info for your self.
Are you trying to develop a standard test chamber for rating equipment? If so ASHRAE have a standard for acheiving that.
magoo

javs
30-03-2011, 12:18 PM
The chamber is used for testing equipment to a certain branch of the California Energy Commission standard. The end result as it relates to this forum is simply the ambient temperature within the chamber needs to be able to hold a constant temperature plus or minus 3 degrees. To date our testing has been done at 60 degrees Fahrenheit but we would like to conduct some other tests that require around 44 degrees and 17 degrees Fahrenheit.

Robert Hilton
30-03-2011, 08:59 PM
The problem with a standard diesel/electric trailer unit is that the standby mode has a reduced capacity (roughly low speed mode).
Are there any generator type reefers in the US? They should supply a reasonable capacity. If you were in Europe then I would advise Frigoblock or Govers

tony2009
30-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Can I suggest an electric only unit (as used by many dairy related industries). Depending on your requirements, maybe a used unit such as an NWE-MAX would suffice or possibly a CO2 unit?
I know the gas/electric units may be easier to get, but an all electric unit has limited appeal in the general transport industry, so they tend to be used (as mentioned) by those in the dairy and associated industries. Being all electric, it should reduce your concerns regarding modifying the unit for whatever reason.
I would expect temperature wise, that they should be up to the task, but naturally that will also depend on the usual body construction constraints.
Best regards....

tony2009
30-03-2011, 11:33 PM
G'day Javs;
Unfortunately, the gas/electric units operate as alternative forms of drive for the compressor and would require a fair degree of modification to add a generator to the diesel motor to drive the electric motor, assuming it could be done at all.
Agreed that some of the all electric units are not cheap, but if you follow up through places such as WB in Wisconsin specializing in used transport refrigeration units, or any of the multitude of transport refrigeration dealers (and there's plenty in the US and Canada) or even some of the local dairy companies, I'm sure that one of them would know of someone looking to move a used all-electric unit, including an old one such as an XNWE; I say this simply due to the limited appeal these units have in the wider refrigerated transport community.
If you do go gas/electric, your best bet would be to remove the diesel and run it solely on the 3phase but in some cases, this can be quite expensive, making the purchase of an all electric unit comparatively cheaper.
If you leave the diesel motor in, then you could be looking at replacement parts such as clutches and like, further down the track, added expense that you don't need or want.
Best regards.....

javs
31-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for your feedback! It sounds like ultimately most of you are suggesting I pursue an all-electric unit so I will keep hunting for one. I don't want to misuse this forum, but if anyone knows of any specific dealers that tend to carry all-electric units or knows of someone selling one for cheap, please PM me. Thanks!

tony2009
01-04-2011, 07:00 AM
G'day Javs;
You could talk to a mate of mine in Florida who is brilliant with a lot of those "hard-to-get" bits and pieces; speak to David over at Merrimont Inc; Cell: (407) 529-9183.
If he's not able to help, then I would suggest starting around the states where there is a lot of diary industry and work from there. I can suggest a number of dealers who may be able to help although some I haven't seen for some time; either way, drop me a pm on tony@iceman.com.au.
Best regards, Tony.....

Will
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Javs, how 'bout using a reefer shipping container ?

It's already 'all electric' and would hold your plus or minus 3 degrees range with no problem.

aircon50
28-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi javs
Try a Michigan based company called 'electric reefer solutions'.
It looks as though they take old TK SB-11's and 111's, remove the engine/compressor assembly and replace with a scroll compressor, and a motor to drive the fanshaft.
Best regards
Graham