PDA

View Full Version : vector 1550

perthtech
24-03-2011, 12:10 PM
i noticed that the vector 1550 has changed over to a scroll compressor.
Question, how reliable are the scroll compressors in high ambients
I have been informed that if a scroll compressor is rapidly cooled ( sudden downpour of rain ) it can sieze up?
Any thoughts?

tony2009
25-03-2011, 02:49 AM
G'day Perthtech;
Good question, maybe Thermo King could answer that one.
Personally, I'm not so sure that they are a particularly good option, but maybe Carrier has learned something from Thermo King's endeavor in that area. Fingers crossed it's better than what we've seen previously.
Tony...

Robert Hilton
26-03-2011, 09:53 AM
We've had scroll compressor units for more than 10 years now. I've not come across any real problems with them.
Our first units left with some 10,000 hours on the clock without even a new shaft seal.
Our latest units are now some 4 years old and we have had three compressors fail and I've just changed one shaft seal. Like all other parts the compressors have been made cheaper lately to help compete in the market, so a fall in quality is to be expected. One thing a scroll doesn't do is capacity regulation, it's either all or nothing. They don't like a vacuum either, bad for the internals.
Mitsubishi is about release a new undermount with a scroll. They use what they call 3-D technology which I assume is to cut down tip losses in the scroll. It is a much smaller unit than TK use.

tony2009
30-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Maybe it's because the temperatures are a little cooler over there, we find they're not too keen on the warmer temperatures, and tend to fall over. Replacing compressors is not uncommon. I'm curious how they go in places like Greece where I know it gets pretty warm.