PDA

View Full Version : Very old cold store fan coil problem with pictures

Contactor
24-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Hello

These pictures are from an old cold store in a hotel, all the fan motors need to be re-wired and replaced.

Someone has already had a go and there are a mixture of different fans blowing in both directions.

I am going to supply and fit four new fans.

Can anyone tell me which direction my fans should be blowing in?

With similar units I have worked on previously the coil is facing the front and the air is drawn through the fan and out of the coil into the cold room.

But this unit has the coil facing to the back so I am wondering if I should use an induced air fan so that the cold air is drawn over the coil first?

chemi-cool
24-03-2011, 04:32 PM
In this construction, it looks to me that the fan blades pull the air and push it through the coil.

Doe's the fins are about 5 to 8 mm apart? If so, I'm right.
Also check where is the TEV or capillary entering the coil. The air should blow against the refrigerant flow.

Contactor
24-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Thank you, the fins are less than 5mm apart maybe 3 or 4 mm and the TEV is just behind the motor on the right hand side but i'm not sure about flow. Good point though, i'd forgotten about that.

Regards & thanks.

Magoo
25-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Check the refrigerant coil feed entries, normal is refrigerant flow through coil counter flow to air flow.

mikeref
25-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Contactor, these motors look to be shaded pole and the blades should be very low pitch, so if replacing motors, make sure they are doing same revolutions. Air is sucked up and pushed through coil, as said above. larger motors may not fit due to limited space.. Mike.

Peter_1
25-03-2011, 08:47 PM
To be honest, this evaporator isn't worth you spend a penny any longer on it.

r.bartlett
26-03-2011, 05:37 AM
You need the small 5w round black fan motors

http://www.remco.co.uk/products/33Range/page14.htm

With new blades to suit. Air is drawn over the motor so make sure they are the correct rotation to do this. It may appear the evap has been fitted backwards -IE it blows against the back wall. This was very common years ago (BC - before cling-film) as it stops the cold air being blown directly onto the food and drying it out and blowing the air straight out the room when the door is opened..

Contactor
26-03-2011, 03:39 PM
The refrigerant flow is towards the fans, so this is a forced air evaporator as advised - thanks.

For the replacement fans, the existing ones are like this:

http://www.remco.co.uk/products/24range/24motor_details.asp?id=261

and one is the 5w round black one as described by r.bartlett in the post above.

I've decided to use the 24 range motors because 3 of the the existing brackets will fit them and I can modify the other, I would need to get something made for the other motors which is not viable, unless anyone knows where I can buy some? (Not Remco).

Do you think this will cause me a problem?

I agree with you Peter_1 about replacing the whole unit, but I have a problem customer who has no brain.

I also need to replace the fan guards, any ideas where I can buy them anyone, Remco can't help with these either.

Thanks all.

monkey spanners
26-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Would something like this get over the mounting bracket and guard problem?

http://www.remco.co.uk/products/fans/page24.htm

Jon :)

r.bartlett
26-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Crumbs yes it's older than I thought. Just ask any of the wholesalers for some 3w open wound fan motors and 4"blades (air over motor) to suit.

install monkey
27-03-2011, 09:23 PM
them coolers are bomb proof-they just last forever!!!