PDA

View Full Version : Temp probe via wireless to controller - how?

desA
23-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I have an application where the distance required between my temperature measurement point & the controller is in excess of 20m. A proposal is to connect the temp sensor (PTC at present - could also be NTC at times), to a wireless transmitter. The controller is then connected to a wireless receiver & the control linkage made.

I've looked at the Carel range of wireless sensors, transmitters, but their local technical support seems to be lost on offering a simple solution.

Are there simple ways of doing this? If so, I'd be incredibly grateful for links & applied wisdom.

Brian_UK
23-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Found this, might help

http://www.processingtalk.com/news/jum/jum147.html

Magoo
24-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi DesA,
sounds like an expensive option, PTC and NTC sensor cables can be strung out up to 200metres with CAT ??? what ever cable and source grounding.

magoo

Tesla
24-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi desA
Have you checked out the other controller options like Emerson and Dixel? I am pretty sure Dixel have a wireless range. I know the big companies (Distech and the like) have a huge range of wireless sensors but most only become economical after 10 or so sensors. After all it is only a simple transmitter at one end and receiver at the other (radio). I have been searching lately for phone wireless for my laptop and the prices are ranging from $10 to $550 which just goes to show how much some of these hardware supplies are making.
There was a **** (wow I almost can't believe that they filtered a real name that sounds like rick and starts with D)[did you mean ****] Smith wireless thermostat available ten years ago for $40 but has not been available for 7 years. It is sometimes quite daunting to search for 4 hours on the net for a real price on such a simple part. But we must persevere to keep abreast with this fast changing technology. Please let us all know what you use on this application.

MikeHolm
25-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Speaking of PT sensors, do you know of a reasonably priced potted PT1000 sensor that will measure up to 160c? The ones I get are in a 5mm tube but I get them with solar controllers for about 10euro ea and I would like to get them separately. I can run 100m easily.

Des, would this work for you or is it not feasible to run the wire? Do you need matched pairs?

desA
30-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks so much Brian. A very interesting link. Much obliged.

desA
30-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Magoo. Applied wisdom, as always. This would be my comparative technical position.

I'm just stretching the envelope a little. :)

desA
30-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much, Tesla. I'll definitely feed back once things become clear.

So far, Carel SA seem to have hit a complete technology blank. They cannot support wireless for a control signal - I'm advised.

chemi-cool
30-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Des,
I have attended an interesting day with the people of Dixell from italy.
They have the technology you are looking for.
Please contact them at www.dixell.it

desA
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Des,
I have attended an interesting day with the people of Dixell from italy.
They have the technology you are looking for.
Please contact them at www.dixell.it

Thanks so much Chemi... Much obliged.