PDA

View Full Version : why do a/c use v shaped filters

mattym
22-03-2011, 09:46 AM
my college tutor has asked me to find ou twhy air con uses v shaped filters, am i right in thinking it is something to do with air resistance, any help would be greatly apprecited.:D

taz24
22-03-2011, 09:59 AM
my college tutor has asked me to find ou twhy air con uses v shaped filters, am i right in thinking it is something to do with air resistance, any help would be greatly apprecited.:D

Well at least you are honest and explained it is home work :).

Air resistance is one reason there are others one being surface area.

Should give you something to research :)

All the best

taz

Tesla
22-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi mattym
You still need to do more research as taz said. To increase the filter surface area and reduce air friction on the system. But a wave shape filter is better utillising more of the filter surface due to the parabolic shape and fluid dynamics - compared to a flat filter which increases pressure drop (FRICTION) in the air flow.

Brian_UK
22-03-2011, 11:24 PM
As above but it also gives somewhere for the dead flies to collect at the bottom of the vees. :D

frank
23-03-2011, 08:51 AM
as above but it also gives somewhere for the dead flies to collect at the bottom of the vees. :d

:d:d:d...............:d

tmm
24-03-2011, 03:53 PM
mattym, do you remember your trig from school and specifically the longest side? The V Filter is the longest side which presents the maximum area over which the air must pass to achieve maximum debris removal.

tmm

Tesla
25-03-2011, 09:07 AM
mattym, do you remember your trig from school and specifically the longest side? The V Filter is the longest side which presents the maximum area over which the air must pass to achieve maximum debris removal.

tmm
Good but not exact if you take into account fluid flow dynamics over the life of the filter in the field. But for the way the question is worded your answer is exactly correct (I would have put a smiley in but not available for this quote).