PDA

View Full Version : Condensor fan Vibrating a whole cabinet?

BigGreenFridge
21-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Can anyone help?

I have a "Husky" Double door glass door bottle fridge.
The whole cabinet is shaking and being very noisy, I've managed to establish it's the condensor fan motor and housing causing the vibration. I have cleaned out the condensor as it was filthy and I also tried changing the fan blade incase it was out of balance. Nothings worked so far.
I'm going to go back tomorrow with some anti-vibratiopn pads to sit the cabinet on as it's a very hard floor. I may also try a 5w fan instead of the 9w thats on it just incase it's spining too fast, though I doubt this is the problem.
The cabinet is about 8 years old. Anybody have anyideas on this?

chemi-cool
21-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Wrong attitude. You have to find where it comes from, not to absorb the vibration.
Check carefully all the motorized parts.
My way is, disconnect fans and compressor from the electric system. Now connect one fan and start the unit. Quite? Connect one more and start. This way you will find the vibrating part.
Always connect the compressor last to avoid high head pressure or liquid returning.
Good luck.

charlie patt
21-03-2011, 08:21 PM
a 9w and 5 w wont make any difference as the spin speed will be the same if its running the 120x120 fans there was a modification on these instead of one fan the put two 120x120 fans in as above says you need to check where the vibration is comeing from

BigGreenFridge
22-03-2011, 08:30 AM
If you read my post properly guys... you will seee that I have established the vibration is from the condensor fan. I've tried a new fan and blade and it's no better. Hence I now need to absorbe the vibration somehow. Thanks anyway guys I'll let you know how I get on today.

Tesla
22-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi BigGreenFridgie
Why don't you be done with it and replace the motor - it sounds like the bearings are gone in the motor and it is rubbing on high friction surface, slowing down, then reducing rubbing by slowing down and repeating the cycle. Along with the motor change the frame that holds it. I think your almost answered the question with your question but were not 100% sure. The vibration could be harmonic resonance in nature increasing by it's own frequency.
There could also be a design fault which encourages this effect hence fitting some rubber or insulating material between the mount and base as you suggested above should dampen the oscillation/vibration.

charlie patt
22-03-2011, 08:39 PM
this is why they modified them with 2x120x120 fans

BigGreenFridge
22-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all your replies chaps. I went back today and fitted a 5w fan and everything is fine now. I had previously replaced the original 9w fan Tesla with another 10w fan but it made no difference. Seems strange that the 5w sorted it? As Charlie Pat said I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between 9w and 5w.

Anyway all sorted

Thanks