PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side

vickgr
18-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Hello everyone.

Is there anyone out there that can advise me what comp to fit to a Mercury ss740 refrigerator freezer side. No info on the web and the company fridge master here in South Africa went bust so they don't exist any more.

When I got the fridge it had a r12 blown comp.(Not original because the fridge side has a 134a comp) When taking it out I notice oil and water coming out of the suction pipe. Its got 2 evaporator coils in the freezer. Fit a 1/4 comp in after flushing the evap and conden coils and only the first evap coil is freezing up nicely. The second coil is very cold , but no frost is forming. The capacity is 325 liters and according to my suppliers a 1/4 should work. Now I am thinking that I should try a 1/3 comp. Any info on other makes and models in regards to what comp is in the freezer compartment with 2 evaporator coils.
Regards

Brian_UK
18-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Any details on the old compressor?

vickgr
19-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Any details on the old compressor?

Hi Brian_UK

No details so I am stuck. Any ideas would be highly appreciated. This thing is huge and eating up my work place.

vickgr
22-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Got 1/3 comp busy fitting it. Will update if anyone is interested.
Regards,
Vick

vickgr
24-03-2011, 07:07 AM
OK the side by side is working. Now I have a problem with a leak. Leak detector is not helping. Is there dye for domestic ? Seems like leak is very small also cant trace with soap.

vickgr
24-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Finally found the leak. My word it really took patience and time. Anyone any info on dye for domestic?

SeanB
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
There is a dye in a purple pack, that you use with UV light and goggles. Works pretty well with most refrigerants and mixes with most oils as it uses a POE oil base. Shows up well, and is hard to remove from clothes ( still there after a few washes), but works well. Costs around R15 per packet, well worth it. Might not be good if the system only has 80g of gas, but works for most other systems I have put it in. Price of the UV torch is a little high compared to what it is, but nothing a pair of yellow glasses and a quick retrofit of a cheap LED torch to near UV LED's at around a tenth of the price was not able to do.

vickgr
07-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the valuable contribution SeanB will look into that.

SeanB
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Did the inlaw's bar fridge today ( defrosted with a knife & hammer.......) and needed just a drop of oil, as there was around 3ml inside, so put in a packet of dye instead. Good news is there is no leaks on the piping or my silver soldering, and it cools again. Nice thing about LG is that you can actually get spares for a 5 year old unit with no problem, and they had local stock.

Must make a note to buy a new box when next at Metraclarke. Must also remember that I must use more wet cardboard inside the next unit, the wall at the back was a little singed, but it is difficult to work in a space just big enough for the thermostat and nothing more.

vickgr
11-04-2011, 11:11 PM
LOL Yea bean there done that. Also lg bar fridge the cleaning lady defrosted the ice with a knife and butcher the poor evap. Got a new one and replaced it inside. Barely space to work in and same problem with the insulation inside melted a bit. I used plates to try and protect it. After some white silicone it looked decent again.

SeanB
16-04-2011, 01:53 PM
It is hidden by the evaporator plate and the thermostat housing, so no need to prettify the wavy plastic or do anything other than remove the worst of the crispy insulation on the pipe. Fridge at work was not worth repair, it had a leak on the steel evaporator, and where exactly do I get R12 to regas. Was not going to spend money on new oil, new door, new seals and evaporator that would fit with new piping. New bigger fridge was cheaper, and it fitted after a few minutes work with a Skil saw to "amend" the kitchen to get it in to the old chipboard hole. At least now it has much better cooling, and still it is full of mystery food.

dazarooney
21-04-2011, 03:07 PM
There is a dye in a purple pack, that you use with UV light and goggles. Works pretty well with most refrigerants and mixes with most oils as it uses a POE oil base. Shows up well, and is hard to remove from clothes ( still there after a few washes), but works well. Costs around R15 per packet, well worth it. Might not be good if the system only has 80g of gas, but works for most other systems I have put it in. Price of the UV torch is a little high compared to what it is, but nothing a pair of yellow glasses and a quick retrofit of a cheap LED torch to near UV LED's at around a tenth of the price was not able to do.

Thanks for that, I had a similar question which you've answered.

water leak detection (http://www.cmrelectrical.com/water-leak-detection.htm)

vickgr
22-04-2011, 10:16 AM
It is hidden by the evaporator plate and the thermostat housing, so no need to prettify the wavy plastic or do anything other than remove the worst of the crispy insulation on the pipe. Fridge at work was not worth repair, it had a leak on the steel evaporator, and where exactly do I get R12 to regas. Was not going to spend money on new oil, new door, new seals and evaporator that would fit with new piping. New bigger fridge was cheaper, and it fitted after a few minutes work with a Skil saw to "amend" the kitchen to get it in to the old chipboard hole. At least now it has much better cooling, and still it is full of mystery food.

Thats the thing it is some times not worth the repair cost. Good replacement gas for R12 is R406a.
Just replace the drier and Bob is your uncle :)

SeanB
27-04-2011, 09:26 PM
First fridge was a DOA - did not cool much, even after 24 H of running ( as in the manual) but the second is working well. Nice return policy at Makro, just wheeled it in, got a ticket and took another off the floor ( though I went from a R134A unit to a R600 one) with no problems.