PDA

View Full Version : Sharp AY A189J fault code

Bumole
13-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Hello

I have been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as I can before I make my first post. I am an electrician with a split system refrigeration ticket. I don't have much experience as I have only installed 3 units in my own home.

A mate called me yesterday with a problem with his Sharp split system AY A189J. When he turns it on the louvers drop down and the yellow Timer LED flashes on for 1 sec and off for 1 sec repeatedly without the fan working. I have not seen the unit first hand as he lives some distance from me.

I have trawled this site and the net for some info but all I could find was the operation manual, which was not much help. If anyone is familiar with these units or can help me out with the fault code your assistance would be appreciated, so I can advise him on repair or replacement.

Thanks in advance

Justin.

Brian_UK
13-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Sorry, can't find much either, previous post on here...
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?17130-sharp-AY-A189J-error-codes

paul_h
14-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Timer flashing just means fault, it flashes 5 times, stops for 4 sec then flashes 5x again.
As in the other thread, you need the op light to flash to tell you the fault. If it isn't flashing, hold down the man/aux button on the indoor for 5sec to get the op light flashing to get the fault code
You need to know on which timer flash the op light flashes, 1st, 2nd, 3, 4,and 5th count of the timer flash, ie could be 1st and 5th marks of the timer flash cycle.

a/c.king
14-03-2011, 10:35 AM
hi
if u open the outdoor uit top cover u most likly u will see a PCB cove by removing PCB cover u will see the fult code printed on the cover and by loking at OUTDOOR PCB u will find led flashing or doing somthing. interpreted andcompare them with what is printed on the PCB cover.

if you not cualify and confedant of what u doing batter call A/C TICHNICIAN TO CHECK
CUTION
WEN U MOVING ANY COVER SWITCH THE POWER OFF AND DO NOT TUCH AND COMPONAT IN THE UNIT OTHEWISE IT MY KILL U.

Regards
a/cking

Bumole
14-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the fast reply's, I might make a visit and test the unit to get the correct code. Thanks again, I will report back when I get the correct code.

Justin

Bumole
01-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Hello All

It took me a while but I finally made it out for a site visit to check the unit myself and run a few tests.
When the unit is switched on from the remote in cooling or heating mode the Red "Operation" LED is on constantly and the Yellow "Timer" LED is flashes at 1 sec intervals. The fan on the indoor unit operates but there is no response from the outdoor unit. I have checked for power at the outdoor unit and 240v.

When the "test" button is pressed for 2 sec the Red and Yellow LED's alternate at 1 sec intervals with the indoor fan operating but once again no response from the outdoor unit.

I removed the PCB in the outdoor unit and found that a few insects had been "cooked" on the back side of the board. I am wondering what the fault code is for defective outdoor PCB or if there is any way to test it. During the tests I was watching the Red LED on the outdoor PCB but that did not come on at all.

If anyone has seen this fault or has any information you help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

paul_h
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
The outldoor LED in normal operation is a slow steady flash. If it has a fault it will flash a certain number of times fast. If completely dead and no LED operation, safe to say the outdoor PCB is dead.

Bumole
02-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Paul and others who responded. I'll try and track down another board and replace it and hopefully fix it.

Thanks again

Justin