PDA

View Full Version : Changing cells in a 48 volt forklift battery

stanthonycold
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whats involved in this process? Do you need a qualified person to come and do this ?is it cost effective?Is it a big job?

Grizzly
10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Knows what they are doing YEP!
Preferably Qualified.
Whether it's actually possible to change the individual cells would depend upon the Make and model?
Working with DC Batteries of a Fork Truck size is not for the faint hearted.
But Hey this is a Refrigeration Forum don't forget.
Good Luck anyway,
Grizzly

cadwaladr
10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
get the experts in,one is the risk of explosion two acid does not work well with complexion? would you let a stacker truck tech recharge a refrigeration system.

SeanB
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Only time I would change the battery is if the whole unit is designed to be recharged outside the forklift, whilst it uses a second unit - often used when it works 24/7 in a coldroom or other poorly ventilated area. Otherwise they contain a lot of energy, as well as the ability to at best seriously injure you, at worst to kill you and destroy the building. Those cells are quite capable of detonating if short circuited, and generate hydrogen gas at all times. I have seen a battery go into thermal overload, and it made a big bang, even though it was hauled out and thrown away from the aircraft before it detonated.