PDA

View Full Version : Experiment needs your help

Emmett
08-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Gentlemen,
I am attempting to determine how much copper tubing I need to cool oil with a glycol chiller, I anticipate putting the coil into a tank and flow oil throught the coil and flow chilled glycol through the tank. Can anyone explain to me how I can calculate this? The load is estimated at 3kw. :) Thank you for any help you can offer.

arne22
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't have all those formulas in my head, and my books are not where I am now, but still I think it should be possible to say a few words about some basic prinsiples.

The "problem" does not contain enough information to be calculated, I think. There will be an important factor, delta T that will have quite an important influence over the heat flow from the oil to the glycol water reservoir. If delta T goes to the double, the need for tubing should go to the appox half, and vise versa, to say it like that.

(Delta T = teperature in oil - temperatur in cooling water/glycol mix).

I belive that to know anything about this, it is also neccessary to know what the temperatur of the oil will be, as it enter the cooler, and also the quantity in volum of the oil stream, and the temperature that the oils should have when it leaves the oil cooler.

One other factor will be if this load of 3 KW will be permanent over time, or it will be just for shorter periods of load. If it shall be permanent over time, there will be need for some arrangement for transporting away the heat from the glycole/water mix to keep the temperature outside the cooper tube on a certain level.

Anyone - please correct me if Im wrong. (I have not done such calculations for a long time.)