PDA

View Full Version : Fridge compressor's can anyone explain why this happens....>

electro
29-07-2001, 04:59 PM
Ok, so you want to switch off all the mains in the house to do some work on the electrical wiring, of course, all the mains goes off, so that means fridges and freezer's go off, alarm clocks too...

When the time comes to switch on the main power again, why do compressor's have a habit of 'packing up' at that time?

This has happened to us twice in the past, so what's wrong if the compresser never starts again after a power loss?

Thanks in advance! ;)

-Dave

Brian_UK
29-07-2001, 10:21 PM
Hi Dave, welcome.

A couple of questions for you then...

How long was the power off for ?

How old was the fridge ?

Was it working properly before ?

When the power was turned on again did you then turn on all the appliances separately or was every switch already on when the main switch was thrown?

Brian_UK
30-07-2001, 11:43 PM
Another range of possible reasons for failure are given on Fridgetech's site - try this link:-

http://fridgetech.com/compressors/recipfailmodes/#GlossA

and then press PageDown 8 times (assuming you are on an 800x600 resolution) to find a section heading of:-
Dangers of defrosting badly iced evaporators

It may shed some more light on the matter for you to think about.

electro
01-08-2001, 07:54 PM
Interesting...

So is there anything you can do to avoid the compressor failing after a defrost ?

-Dave

Gary
02-08-2001, 05:59 PM
I are a born prufreeder, Maarc. :)

johndavies
11-11-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by electro
Ok, so you want to switch off all the mains in the house to do some work on the electrical wiring, of course, all the mains goes off, so that means fridges and freezer's go off, alarm clocks too...

When the time comes to switch on the main power again, why do compressor's have a habit of 'packing up' at that time?

This has happened to us twice in the past, so what's wrong if the compresser never starts again after a power loss?

Thanks in advance! ;)

-Dave

johndavies
11-11-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by johndavies
Most compressors if they fail they fail on startup. this is because the system hasn't Equalised its pressures on a capillary system or there is a relay or klixon malfunction

Abe
16-11-2001, 11:07 PM
Electro

Ok, its happened twice to you, how unlucky, its like lightening hitting the same spot twice, truly incredible.

First, although the tendency for a compressor to fail on start up is pronounced, it does not "normally" happen. There are millions of fridges all over the globe and they are constantly switching on and off continuosly throughout the day. ( switching on and off on thermostat)

They start and stop without problems. Yes, what other members have stated are all viable possibilities, klixon trips, liquid slug back, etc.

I think the problem is elsewhere, ie: with your power supply. You may be experiencing extreme power surges, spikes, especially after the power returns, you have power cuts so that says a lot about your power company.

Or you could be buying a cheapo fridge with a Soviet compressor made in Tajekistan.

I may of course be wrong on all fronts, but I maintain my argument, fridges do not FAIL on start up after a power cut, or at any other time.

Check your power supply, or your fridge itself.......buy a decent one:rolleyes:

MK Icetec
22-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum, good to see a cross section of Q&A from around the world. Domestic refrigeration repairs/ engineers have little or no recognition, this is not justified as far as i'm concerned, also many fridge freezer manufacturers are reluctant to give technical advice for obvious reasons.

I run my own small repair business, it can be tough enough sometimes due to the above, but the real mountain of the problem is how the consumer percieves us, with watch dog and the house of horror t.v series in everyones front room we are tagged cowboys before we start, i'm all for bringing the con men to light, but what about the genuine guys?, i think this forum could be a good intermediate for promoting professionalism and quality of service as well as technical problem solving.

Best regards

Mike

Abe
22-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Hello Mike

Welcome to the forum
I applaud your sentiments

I think we are moving in the right direction, and this forum will assist the PR effort in uniting a pool of "temperature challenged" individuals pool their thoughts, resources, opinions and actions in defence of opinions prevalent within their relevant spheres of activity.

Hopefully also help keep all of us abreast of whats happening within our industry and therefore on our guard, with our business, political, marketing and technical ears wiggling !!

So lets keep it simple, lets band together and serve our purposes, which are in the interests of refrigeration and air con, (pun not intended!)

Nobby
24-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Your right Mike, when I was in the UK and watched "Watch Dog" I felt bad for the "good guys" although it was fun to see the baddies get thier just deserts. Not much of a problem however here in the US (As far as I know) Here, You can't do anything pretty much on the tech side without qualifications of some sort, especially on the a/c or refrigeration trade. A big fine and possibly a prison sentence for releasing refrigerent into the atmosphere in quantity. I personly did a 8 month course at a local college that cost over a thousand dollars not including books. I got all the certs, without which getting a job would be next to impoosible. Thats a good thing I think. Keeps the "cowboys" down to an a minimum. I think "cowboys" in the UK have an easy time of it compared to the US version. Mind you, I have only 4 years experience here, I could be wrong.

Anyway, If you need some backup for promoting professionalism, let me know

The best to you
Stephen