PDA

View Full Version : Authors and Publishers Rights

botrous
07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Dear All : chillin out, Abe, Andy ,Argus ,Brian_UK ,chemi-cool, frank ,Josip ,Mark ,Peter_1

It have been a long time I didn't login into our forum , today was my first visit since a long time . . .

While i was surfing the forum , I noticed a very large quantity of scanned data exchange for rights owned books in the refrigeration books section.

I do not find those acts ethical . . .
:(
Please advise .

Anyways , missed you a lot guys and here I'm back

Josip
07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi, dear botrous :)

Dear All : chillin out, Abe, Andy ,Argus ,Brian_UK ,chemi-cool, frank ,Josip ,Mark ,Peter_1

It have been a long time I didn't login into our forum , today was my first visit since a long time . . .

While i was surfing the forum , I noticed a very large quantity of scanned data exchange for rights owned books in the refrigeration books section.

I do not find those acts ethical . . .
:(
Please advise .

Anyways , missed you a lot guys and here I'm back

welcome back,

.... maybe is not ethical, but to help, sometimes, to someone in need we have to cross some border/s, ..... here I mean to scan a few pages of some book, manual or whatever what is accepted all around the world ... maybe we need to mention book and author/s

.... then we have a lot of manuals which are mostly in public domain, but still copyright material, then we have a people which do not have a money to buy some book, manual and similar - shall we stop to share some knowledge or stop with help ... then, sometimes some material is not available at all except in this unethical way ...

then, unfortunately, we have people which will cross all borders to get what they want or need ....

I believe here will come other members to confirm or deny our thoughts ...

I do agree with you, but cannot find a way how to make unethical to be ethical, please can you advise...

Best regards, Josip :)

DTLarca
07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Words and artwork are protected by copyright law in the UK. Ideas are not. So if you share the idea with others even if you yourself picked it up through the public domain you must share it in your own words.

Examples of moral dimensions are:

1) There is the right of attribution, which includes the right to be identified as the author of the work.
2) The right of integrity, which is the right not to have one's work adapted or treated in a defamatory or derogatory way.

If you are a college lecturer you can photocopy and distribute I think up to 10% of any completed works such as books etc.

You are permitted to copy and distribute small parts of others works for purposes of comment and reference - but it is good ethics to pass attribution though the tendency is lessened when the art work shared is in fact another of many tokens of a type of idea already widely shared in the public domain or in the engineering field concerned.

nike123
08-03-2011, 01:38 AM
With internet, concept and rules of copyrights should be adjusted to new reality.
I don't know how, but it should be done, or else, half of internet will be removed.

Magoo
08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Hi
interesting topic, DTLarca what you posted is relevent to the UK and very well stated I might say, but this being an international forum, the localized rules could be hugely different.
I beleive that if a manufacturer publishes technical support info well then that supports there product, and should be freely available and scanable. Books etc., is a different issue. A bit like that music site on the web, that got hammered for free access and downloading ability.
AS for wik- leaks, that bloke is strange and well named. He is for the high jump. A peice of lead delivered at high speed in and area that is really fatal.

botrous
08-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Dear All,
I did not mean that the knowledge should be kept away because of the rules and the regulations.

I am a teacher and i beleive that the knowledge should be distributed widely.

Manuals, databooks and other related documents are usually made to be delivered and spread.

Books are usually made to be sold.

Spreading knowledge can be by sending the part needed of the book (scanned or whatever) but not sending the whole book in public thread.
Refrigeration engineers rules

Rules 3:
3. When posting reports or articles, please give a nod to the original author of the report or article by posting their name either at the top or the bottom of the post. Please do not post a link to the original article.
This rule is subject to the automated infraction system

Rule 7:
7.Do not post links or SPAM on the Refrigeration-Engineer.com forums. Discussion of illegal activities such as software, music, video & DVD piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed. Moderators may post a link if they feel its relevant.
This rule is subject to the automated infraction system.

Best regards