PDA

View Full Version : Power saving devices

raz5
06-03-2011, 09:43 PM
A freind has asked me to look at their air conditioners in their villa in cyprus :Dwith a veiw to instaling power turn off devices as guest keep leaving it running when theres no one in and its costing a fortune . Is there anything these days that imitate daikins motion sensors that can be installed or retro fitted to existing indoor splits .. I could adapt something like a pir sensor but if one of you fridges know of anything it would save me time .. The units are american air and I am trying to get the model no , all i know so far is there single phase splits :o

SeanB
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
You could install prepayment meters, and give them a card to buy power. Nothing like positive reinforcement to encourage savings.

Makeit go Right
14-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Something simple, I guess.

You could have a push-button switch that runs for say 1hr and then turns off (run-on timer?)
Something like this:

http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/adjustable-boost-timer-delay-switch-multirange-runback-timer-p-13640.html

If really watching the pennies set in on 30mins. Otherwise can set for 2hrs/push.
Might not be exactly what you want, but that kind of idea should be the way to go.

Just need to check where to switch, either power or, more likely on the control wiring.

JoeAT50A
15-03-2011, 04:14 AM
You should consider to interlock with door or Card-Key device.
All these hotels and service apartments should implement something similar.
For example 1
Card-Key slot out >>> AC auto-off and prohibited on/off from remote controller
Card-Key slot in>>> permitted on/off from remote controller and guests ON manually as they desire mode.

For example 2
Card-Key slot in>>> AC auto on with 74F and Cool mode and mid fan speed
Card-Key slot out (remove)>> AC will change to Fan mode and Hi fan speed.
Some interlock with window, when window open AC will OFF and so on.

There are many things can implement, but check with suppliers whether they can do this or not.
Most of the brands could have that feature to interlock.

back2space
22-03-2011, 01:39 AM
You should consider to interlock with door or Card-Key device.
All these hotels and service apartments should implement something similar.
For example 1
Card-Key slot out >>> AC auto-off and prohibited on/off from remote controller
Card-Key slot in>>> permitted on/off from remote controller and guests ON manually as they desire mode.

For example 2
Card-Key slot in>>> AC auto on with 74F and Cool mode and mid fan speed
Card-Key slot out (remove)>> AC will change to Fan mode and Hi fan speed.
Some interlock with window, when window open AC will OFF and so on.

There are many things can implement, but check with suppliers whether they can do this or not.
Most of the brands could have that feature to interlock.

The problem with these is that you can just leave any other type of card in the slot be it a tesco club card or a membership card for the gym etc etc... this is how I have always got around these in hotels.

JoeAT50A
22-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Basically logic that apply, you should be using OR logic instead of relying on one source which is a card holder only.
They have alot of similar cards to play cheat. Why not consider interlock with door or light together using OR logic or parallel relays.

Andy_WSM
22-03-2011, 12:22 PM
The problem with these is that you can just leave any other type of card in the slot be it a tesco club card or a membership card for the gym etc etc... this is how I have always got around these in hotels.

Same here. If you want to leave your laptop or mobile charging while you go out for dinner then a clubcard works every time!