PDA

View Full Version : Heat pump for cooling.

jm-baker
06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I have been hanging around the forum for a while now.

I have a project going where i want to cool a tank of water (also heat it, but that seems the easy part).

I need to be able to circulate a glycol solution down to -5 Deg C using the heat pump.

Are there any readly available heat pumps that can be set to run down to -5 ?

The tank of water is salt water, used for part of a test setup i need. I need to be able to heat it to +40 Deg C, and cool it to -2 Deg C.

I figured if i can get a heat exchanging coil in the tank cyling -5 for cooling, then +50 for heating, i will get there.

Any help much appreciated, so far i am looking at this: http://www.icsheatpumps.co.uk/docs/ICS_MTD_AS_Data_Sheet.pdf

but yet to talk to any manufacturers.

Thanks.

Bigfreeze
06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Does it have to be a ASHP, if you use a gshp with a reverse cycle this would be an easy proposition.

jm-baker
06-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Yes, sorry i forgot to mention, it needs to be air source.

Bigfreeze
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Don't think you'll find any readily available units capable of -5. There just wouldn't be any call for it so wouldn't be catered for. I think you'd have to modify the controls on any unit you'd propose using so the more mechanical the unit the better. Avoid modulating units and use direct on only and they would not be that hard to convert to purpose

jm-baker
06-03-2011, 11:51 PM
ok thanks.

Anyone have a unit they could suggest?

I am looking at 11kW (heating capacity) range.