PDA

View Full Version : Transportation of gases.

cool runings
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Does anyone have a link to a site, a pdf file or other
document that has a definative explanation of carrying
compressed gases in vehicals.

I know it is disscused regulary but is there a single source
of do's and don'ts?

I have tried reading the transportation of dangerous goods act
which is so complicated and so conterdictory that basicaly
I concluded that if I sat in my car with so much as a lung full
of air I was contravening some law or other :confused:
I found http://www.bcga.co.uk/preview/publications/carriage.pdf
which is informative, but I would like somthing I can use to explain
what I can and can't carry and how much with what labels and ventilation.

All the best

coolrunnings

Quality
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
its always advisable to display labels but make sure you carry a safety data sheet for each product that you carry and obviously make sure they are secure and ventilated. Presuming your not carrying tonne drums of course

Tayters
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
This will need confiming but an F-Gas instructor told us on the course that most ac and fridge technicians don't carry enough refrigerant/flammable to be included in the regulation for having stickers.
No sticker means not having to take Oxy/Act out at night (you all do that, right?) amongst other things.
Like I say, it would need confirming but I think (from a quick scan of the link) he was right.

Andy.

charlie patt
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
in vechicles in uk all data sheets in vechicle for each refrigerant... clear labels on vechicle with clasifacation ie flammable /liquid/pressure.... one air vent in roof of van where refrigerant stored. each cylinder to be strapped and secure and not within 35cm of driver..each bottle has a clear label... reclaim bottle has a log book with contents in some advise on anti static strip on van but this depends on area and insurance.if oxy or map gas carried a mimimum of 1.5 mm steel bulkhead between driver and load

Brian_UK
05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that Charlie, do you have the 'standard' that refers to those requirements please?

charlie patt
06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
i downloaded it from the service engineer section when i am in the office next i will get the site and some was guidance notes from hse

Quality
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Try CDG 2007