PDA

View Full Version : New To The Game

velcrohead
11-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Everyone, Just like to say hello to all for a great forum which I have been looking at for many weeks now and have decided to de-lurk.

I am looking at getting into servicing cars and split systems, I have all (loosly used word) the equipment I need but would like to get certified etc.
I live in Royston, Hertfordshire, UK and like some recommendations for not too far away training placements.
I have emailed a company Called Ellis training in Cuffley several time but have had zero response.
This kind of puts me off using them.
Also any recommendations as to what is needed certificate wise would be very appreciated.
Cheers All
Dave.

Brian_UK
11-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum; not sure about the velcrohead handle Dave.... is that a cut down Mohican ??

Yes at least a Refrigerant Safe Handling course to ensure your safety as well as your prospective customers.

Karl Hofmann
12-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I did my refrigerant handling course at Ellis Training and am a little surprised that they have not contacted you. It is run by a husband and wife team and although Mr Ellis is a little short on humour, he does seem to know his stuff. Try giving them a ring

velcrohead
12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum; not sure about the velcrohead handle Dave.... is that a cut down Mohican ??

Yes at least a Refrigerant Safe Handling course to ensure your safety as well as your prospective customers.

Velcrohead came from the days when I could'nt be bothered to get up in the morning, I.E head stuck to the pillow like velcro.

velcrohead
12-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I did my refrigerant handling course at Ellis Training and am a little surprised that they have not contacted you. It is run by a husband and wife team and although Mr Ellis is a little short on humour, he does seem to know his stuff. Try giving them a ring

Yeah, I was hoping not to have to ring them as I have emailed them, It annoys me so much when companies have a web presence and email address and never use use or reply to them.

frank
12-09-2005, 09:16 PM
It annoys me so much when companies have a web presence and email address and never use use or reply to them.

I've just contacted a company that we have worked with on and off for 10 years about a new contract. I e-mailed them as per their web site but received no reply for 8 days so i rang. - comment was - as we are a small company and do not have web access 24/7 (only dial up) we only check every now and again.

So it seems that not all companies have moved with the times but at least these guys now what they are doing in their own trade - just not up to speed with technology.

velcrohead
13-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I have had a reply from Ellis training, It's taken 14 days so maybe they were on their Hol's.
I now have the info I need from them so just need to book up and get trained.

Snowman123
13-09-2005, 11:28 PM
:) Sign up for a Refrigeration and Aircon course at Willsden college , its North London area.

Argus
14-09-2005, 10:23 AM
The use of HFCs for car (Mobile Air Conditioning or MAC) is almost exclusively R134a these days in the UK and Europe.

I?ll try not to pour cold water on your plans, but you should be aware that the EU is planning to phase out its use in mobiles with an eventual ban on use in new vehicle and for service.

Read about it here under ?MAC Directive?
http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/fgases.htm

The proposed MAC Directive is up for its second reading in the European Parliament in the next month or two. The probabilities are that it will not be opposed or changed radically. The European car industry has accepted the outcome, by and large.

The point I?m making is that MAC service is not a long term career prospect unless you plan to move into Carbon Dioxide or whatever miraculous solution appears next; personally I?ll give it 5 or 6 years ? not much beyond the end of the decade.

I?m not saying that MACs will disappear with the ban, just change radically and so will the trade.
Consider if you want to go through re-training again at that time.

Other equipment using HFCs, such as splits (fixed equipment) will be subject to a separate regulation proposal.

________
best penny stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Karl Hofmann
14-09-2005, 12:09 PM
The Mobile A/C market is at saturation point, the world and its wife have bought into car aircon and its service equipment and guys are slashing prices to recover the cost of their equipment, plenty of blow and go guys and the public won't pay to have the job done properly. five years ago you could make a decent living from car aircon, but now it aint worth getting out of bed for