PDA

View Full Version : compressor not working?

tcdmtcdt
25-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Hi guys,
I am working on a friedrich heat pump unit with a watercooled condenser and it's a 15 year old unit. it takes care of 3 small rooms. the compressor is 1.5 to 2 ton max can't read the plate and try calling the company and it's discontinued anyways don't have the service manual. Anyways when I turn the t-stat everything is ok the fan energizes the contactor coil pulls in and the compressor gets really hot quick and it trips on overload. I checked the voltage and is good, the amps go initially to 18.5 amps and then they drop down to 0 though. It has a 3 terminal overload but only 2 wires are being used. I ohm out the compressor and getting continuity on c,s,r, it is not grounded, and the ohm seem about right although I don't have exact ohms for that particular compressor it reads 3.5 low, 8.7medium and12.5 high so I think it's ok. At first I though it might be the overload cause it was giving some weird readings so I took out the overload to see if it would come on. Pressed the contactor and nothing. I can't really change or work with the 4 way solenoid because of the location. My question is, if the 4 way solenoid is closed would that prevent my compressor from coming on? And since I took out the overload to very that it wasn't that, is there anything else that I can do to unlock the compressor? Already changed the cap and try hardstart kit is there anything else I can do to save this unit.