PDA

View Full Version : R22 to R410a

Simon Butler
09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Some Mitsubishi Mr Slim units have an activated charcoal filter fitted which soak up chlorines and contamanents to allow you to re-use existing R22 pipework when replacing an old system.
Does anyone know if such filters are available as a seperate component?

Simon.

Brian_UK
09-09-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't think so Simon, they are built into the invertor series only and I believe are a one shot item. Probably large enough to clean up the oil from the maximum pipe run allowance plus a bit for normal running.

Simon Butler
09-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Do you know if its possible by others mean of cleaning R22 pipework for a new 410a unit? In the old days it would have been flushed with R11, is there a replacement?

Brian_UK
09-09-2005, 11:42 PM
There are chemical cleaners available for the job but to be honest I think that the cost and time involved with them would encourage you to renew the pipework.

techguy
13-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Guys.
Mitsubishi use there own oil alkylbenzene Type which is isoluble in refrigerant and can be used in older systems so the R22 pipe work can be used without worry No need to fit any driers or clean the pipework or so they Say in the latest Tech Bulletin from Japan. Have never used it myself so can't comment.
PS
Don't tell anybody I've seen the latest Japanese tech bulletin it's a secret
Cya
T

frank
13-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Also, the comparable pipe size has reduced with R410a (suction line smaller) so oil return issues may be something to consider if you want to re-use old R22 piping.

paulcollis
14-09-2005, 10:15 PM
im not sure if it is available were you are , but we use R141B whitch is a very similar product to r11 but without the ozone depleting characteristics, it works very well on removing scale and oil residue, also reusing original pipework be carefull that thinner wall copper tube wasnt usaed in original installs , as new certs are being inforced over here for the thicker walled 410 certified pipe.

Argus
15-09-2005, 08:32 AM
but we use R141B whitch is a very similar product to r11 but without the ozone depleting characteristics,

Not so sure about that........

R141b s a HCFC. All Chlorinated gases are severly restricted or banned in the EU.

R141b weighs in with an ODP of 0.11, twice that of R22.

It's use as a temporary flushing agent would be legally doubtful in this part of the world and questionable best practice.. Once used it becomes a Hazardous Waste and you then governed by all sorts of disposal licenses.
________
fake weed (http://syntheticweed.org)

paulcollis
16-09-2005, 02:41 AM
We have used this system over here for a number of years, we have a fully sealed flushing system so there is no release of by products to the atmosphere, we then send the 141 through a series of filters, one of whitch is especially designed to remove any oil and acid residue, this inturn enables the flushing agent to be reused several times, to ensure the system is clean, once this is finished, we have a refrigerant disposal depot were for a small fee they breakdown the agent and dispose of it in an enviromentaly safe manner.

Argus
16-09-2005, 09:38 AM
We have used this system over here for a number of years,

Still, it's illegal in the EU. Any HCFC use as a solvent is banned.

________
teen vid (http://teenvid.org)

Stuart
17-09-2005, 07:00 AM
The main factor to consider is the fact that 410 runs at much higher pressure than 22 & by law requires a thicker copper pipe. Those regulations are for safety reasons. Imagine what would happen if the pipe split while it was running in heating....WOW !!!

al
26-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Simon,

Did you have any luck cleaning your pipework, i'm looking at a job involving reusing existing pipework and was curious if you found any means to do so?

Al

Gwyn
26-09-2005, 10:10 PM
By the time you spent on this web site asking questions you could have changed out all the pipe work…. Have a nice day mate!