PDA

View Full Version : Split valve

Acrisoft
22-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi

A tech student of mine is installing a Mini split which has 900g of fluid inside acording to service manual.

After tubes were assembled and manifold linked to low side valve, valve was open
1/4 counterclockwise, and vaccum pump turned on.

Instead of vaccum, the fluid output by the vaccum pump.

I will tell him to close the valve, but I wonder if tubes will be vacuumed this way.

Any help will be welcome

Thanks

Moises

paul_h
22-02-2011, 01:29 PM
You're not supposed to open the valves. You as supposed to use the vacuum pump to make vacuum on the indoor unit and your piping, not the outdoor unit. So the valves should have been kept closed.

you're going to have to reclaim the whole system now with valves open, evac it with valves open, and charge with 900g of refrigerant after evac now.

Acrisoft
22-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Thank you Paul

I was going to tell him to keep the valve close, but I also will have to explain him how piping will get vacuumed if nothing is open.

Could the low site valve be schreader valve ?

Moises

Brian_UK
22-02-2011, 11:18 PM
If he is your tech student, are you an authorised teacher of the refrigerant trade? :eek:

Did no one read the installation instructions?:rolleyes:

Tayters
23-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you Paul

I was going to tell him to keep the valve close, but I also will have to explain him how piping will get vacuumed if nothing is open.

Could the low site valve be schreader valve ?

Moises

Not quite sure what you mean here. I take it you have 2 valves with an Allen key head and an access port on the suction valve.

Smaller units normally only have an access port on the suction valve only. Larger systems may have access ports on both valves.
As already posted, you need to vac from the ports then open the valves up.

stufus
23-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Is this a wind up or a trick question?
Who exactly is the teacher and who is the student?
If you are the teacher should you not know the basics?
No pressure test??
Tell the student to sign up to R.E. and put his tuition fees into a beer fund for the members:D
Cheers
Stu